Question about Renamer

Started by Lana, April 11, 2020, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lana

I am trying to learn the Renamer feature, I have a question which I'm sure  has a simple answer, but I'm just not getting it.

It is my intent to rename files using YYYY-MM-DD_XXX

It works fine when there is more than one file dated the same day.  I get a unique filename starting with 001.  However, when there is only one picture taken on a specific day, the "XXX" is missing as shown below

-2019-07-01_001.jpg
-2019-07-01_002.jpg
-2019-07-02.jpg
-2019-07-03-001.jpg
-2019-07-03-002.jg

Yes, I understand the filename dated July 2nd "is" unique, but I still want a three digit number anyway.

How do I make this happen?

Thanks.

Mario

It would help if you show us the steps you use.

I guess you have used the "unique sequence number" step which kicks in to ensure that a file name is unique by appending a number.
It does do nothing if the file name is unique.

To append numbers to file names, use the global sequence number step: Global Sequence

If you want to append consecutive numbers to groups of files you create with your rename steps, have a look at the Group By step, which allows you to do that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lana

Sorry, yes I should have posted the steps.  My bad.

Here's what my renamer looks like. 

Mario

My analysis above is correct.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

I rename my files the same way only the last 3 digits of my renaming are subseconds which essentially accomplishes the same thing.

Attached is the way I rename my files like that (note last item at the bottom of my screenshot).

Carlo Didier

Quote from: JohnZeman on April 11, 2020, 07:41:02 PM
I rename my files the same way only the last 3 digits of my renaming are subseconds which essentially accomplishes the same thing.

Attached is the way I rename my files like that (note last item at the bottom of my screenshot).
Note that not all cameras store sub-seconds in the images.

plastikman

Quote from: Carlo Didier on April 13, 2020, 09:11:36 AM
Quote from: JohnZeman on April 11, 2020, 07:41:02 PM

Note that not all cameras store sub-seconds in the images.

Mine don't. I use YYYY-MM-DD_INITIALS_XXX (those 3 numbers restart with 001 every day since I rename for each shooting day).

Lana

Thank you everyone.  I'm still not getting what I want.  Using minutes and seconds just didn't work for me.  And I'm still trying to understand Group By.  I've spent time reading Help and I don't know why I'm hitting a brick wall when it comes to renamer.  I just find it extremely confusing.  Before I start studying the help files even more, I want to know if it's POSSIBLE to use renamer to get what I want.  Or can it only be achieved using Group By.  I'm willing to put in the time to learn, I just need a little guidance.

By the way, it's very rare for me to take just one picture on any single day.  So this issue is not real urgent, I can live with it.  If necessary, I'll just manually rename the file myself and be done with it.  My only goal here is to learn.  THANK YOU!

Mario

You say

QuoteIt is my intent to rename files using YYYY-MM-DD_XXX

So, which steps do you use?
A date and time step?
A text step?
How do you create the _XXX?

If you use the "unique sequence number" it cannot work. Because that number is only appended when the Renamer finds a duplicate file name.
All that is needed are 3 steps when I understand you correctly:

1. Date and time.
2. Text for the _
3. Global sequence number

This produces names like

2020-04-13_001
2020-04-13_002
2020-04-13_nnn
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lana

Mario, thank you.  That worked.  When you mentioned global sequence number, I thought you were referring to "Global Sequence" under Preset at top of Renamer box.  I just didn't get how changing that number applied to what I was trying to do.  I didn't realize there was a global sequence number instruction I could add to list of processing instructions.  Thank you for the screenshot, that really helped.

Again, I just need a bit more time to really sit down and read the Help section about renamer.   THANK YOU AGAIN.