Sending a photo for editing

Started by Langsey1, April 13, 2020, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langsey1

How do I send a photo to a editor such as Lightroom or Photoshop? Thanks in advance.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Drag and drop, as described in the Help, is usually the easiest way to do this.
John

Mario

Drag & Drop is what I use most. Or just click the toolbar button: Quick Tip: Opening Files in Other Applications
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 13, 2020, 09:05:35 PM
Drag & Drop is what I use most. Or just click the toolbar button: Quick Tip: Opening Files in Other Applications

Exactly what I do.
Most drag n Drop.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

I rarely use drag-n-drop because I find it too clumsy. First, you have to have the other application already running. Second, if you are working with applications in full screen (which is probably what you do, unless you have a 2m size monitor with 16000x9000 resolution ...), you have to click and hold your selection in iMatch, drag down to the taskbar, find the correct icon, wait untill the application comes up drag up into the application window and release the mouse button.
For Photoshop and Bridge, I have created little scripts in iMatch which I pinned above the file window (see screenshot). One-click is all you need then. You can also assign keyboard shortcuts.

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on April 14, 2020, 08:51:32 AM
I rarely use drag-n-drop because I find it too clumsy. First, you have to have the other application already running. Second, if you are working with applications in full screen (which is probably what you do, unless you have a 2m size monitor with 16000x9000 resolution ...), you have to click and hold your selection in iMatch, drag down to the taskbar, find the correct icon, wait untill the application comes up drag up into the application window and release the mouse button.
For Photoshop and Bridge, I have created little scripts in iMatch which I pinned above the file window (see screenshot). One-click is all you need then. You can also assign keyboard shortcuts.

I simply have a second monitor.  ;D
On one e.g. Photoshop, on the other IMatch.

Easy to drag n drop.

I have also such quick icons, like you made, this is also a very good way ... but in the praxis I do it mostly per drag n drop, because for me it is the most natural way.
Several people, several ways.  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on April 14, 2020, 10:53:01 AMI simply have a second monitor.  ;D
I also had two 23" monitors, but now I have one wide 3440x1440 pixel external monitor plus the internal monitor of the laptop which I only use for the web browser and Outlook. I want to use the big screen always with iMatch, Photoshop, Bridge, Capture One, etc in full screen to use the full resolution.

jch2103

Quote from: Carlo Didier on April 14, 2020, 08:51:32 AM
I rarely use drag-n-drop because I find it too clumsy. First, you have to have the other application already running.

If you create a Favorite for your destination application, using drag and drop makes it easy to start up the application with your desired photos. No need to have the application already running!
John

claudermilk

Like most here, I've always just used drag and drop. It's always a hassle for me because a) I have to make sure both programs are running, and b) I utilize both monitors for both programs, so I have to arrange panels to make sure at least a corner of the correct panel on the receiving program is visible while IMatch is focused.

Now that I'm revising literally everything, I'm looking again at this. First thing I've done is make sure my Windows file associations are set correctly (i.e., .CR2 files go to PhotoLab 3, .JPG files now go to Affinity Photo). Now I can see the Open File button displaying the desired receiving program. The second thing is that I set up Favorites for all the editors I might use, just in case I don't want to send the files to the default. I'm hoping this will help smooth the inter-program workflow.

Actually, thinking about it now, I probably ought to make sure video formats are set up correctly since I need to work up a separate IMatch database for those.

jch2103

Quote from: claudermilk on April 14, 2020, 08:16:16 PM
The second thing is that I set up Favorites for all the editors I might use, just in case I don't want to send the files to the default. I'm hoping this will help smooth the inter-program workflow.
At least with DxO PhotoLab, dropping a selection of files onto the Favorite opens PhotoLab with just those selected files. That definitely simplifies the inter-program workflow for me.
John

Jingo

Quote from: claudermilk on April 14, 2020, 08:16:16 PM
Now that I'm revising literally everything, I'm looking again at this. First thing I've done is make sure my Windows file associations are set correctly (i.e., .CR2 files go to PhotoLab 3, .JPG files now go to Affinity Photo). Now I can

But - do you really want to open every JPG in the Affinity Photo editor?  For me, I want to just open JPG's in a quick viewer like Faststone Viewer.. and prefer to setup add'l right click items like "edit in Photoshop" for the few times I want to really edit a JPG. 

This is why it is easier to have a favorite setup and just click the button to open the image in your program of choice.  I also have a few of these in the taskbar for quicker access too.

claudermilk

Quote from: jch2103 on April 14, 2020, 08:41:05 PM
At least with DxO PhotoLab, dropping a selection of files onto the Favorite opens PhotoLab with just those selected files. That definitely simplifies the inter-program workflow for me.
Good to know it works that way. In the past (with Photo Lab 1), I was creating projects, then doing the drag-drop dance to put the images there. Selecting the batch in IMatch and either clicking the button or dragging them to the favorites will be MUCH better. I also really like that DxO's attempts as some DAM capability helps this along--so I can just look at the directory and filter by rating metadata as another option.

Quote from: Jingo on April 14, 2020, 10:58:54 PM
But - do you really want to open every JPG in the Affinity Photo editor?  For me, I want to just open JPG's in a quick viewer like Faststone Viewer.. and prefer to setup add'l right click items like "edit in Photoshop" for the few times I want to really edit a JPG. 

This is why it is easier to have a favorite setup and just click the button to open the image in your program of choice.  I also have a few of these in the taskbar for quicker access too.
Well, once the file is to JPG I'm not doing much editing, but it's nice to have as an option. That's also why I set up a bunch of favorites definitions--to give myself all my options. Also, I found that FastPictureViewer is for some reason not acceptable to Windows 10 as a file association target. So, it will just be a favorite in IMatch.

Right now my workflow is in flux again as I update my software. It's looking like it will be more efficient than before and the inter-program communication is better than ever.

Jingo

I just meant - you can really only setup a SINGLE app in Windows as an associated app... ie: what happens when you open a JPG.  I edit my JPG's in Photoshop... but don't want PS to be the default for OPEN because 99% of the time I want to view the image more quickly than PS opens.. so, I associate JPG's with Fastone Image Viewer.. super quick and full of options!  I have setup right click - open with/edit with associations for things like Photoshop and QImage... same for PDF's and RAW file formats (open by default with Capture One but have a right click option to view with RawViewer).

Anyway... enjoy!

claudermilk

Good point. I'll see how that works from here. Until now GIMP had grabbed the default open and it wasn't bothering me. I also did some poking around since FastPictureViewer seems dead--no updates for 2 years. I stumbled across FastRawViewer which looks promising and is on sale through today. At $15 I should probably just buy it anyway...

Mario

Quote from: claudermilk on April 16, 2020, 12:37:38 AM
Good point. I'll see how that works from here. Until now GIMP had grabbed the default open and it wasn't bothering me. I also did some poking around since FastPictureViewer seems dead--no updates for 2 years. I stumbled across FastRawViewer which looks promising and is on sale through today. At $15 I should probably just buy it anyway...

This software is from the same guy who maintains the LibRaw - which is also used in IMatch as a fallback when no WIC codec is available.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator