Ultra slow metadata write-back

Started by desmooloch, April 15, 2020, 08:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmooloch

hi,

since imatch 2020 i have (sometimes) a very slow metadata write-back: About 7 Hours (estimated) for 527 files...
I had no problem witch imatch 2019 and the only thing i changed was imatch.
All i see in log file is something about PTWrapper (see attached file).

Restarting imatch fixing it.
Anything i can do to find the cause of this issue?

Thanks!

Best regards,
desmo

Mario

Always include the log file.
A screen shot of a small section of a log file does not help much.

Make sure your virus checker is not blocking IMatch in some way. That's the cause for performance problems in 90% of all cases.

If IMatch reports that ExifTool hangs and that it has to force it to stop after 120 seconds, this is much likely the case.
Or damaged files. Or the Samba version on your DISKSTATION NAS is buggy. Or the network has problems.

Copy the files to your local hard disk and update them there.
If this works, the NAS, the virus checker or the network is the culprit.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

desmooloch

Quote from: Mario on April 15, 2020, 09:19:00 AM
Always include the log file.
A screen shot of a small section of a log file does not help much.

Make sure your virus checker is not blocking IMatch in some way. That's the cause for performance problems in 90% of all cases.

If IMatch reports that ExifTool hangs and that it has to force it to stop after 120 seconds, this is much likely the case.
Or damaged files. Or the Samba version on your DISKSTATION NAS is buggy. Or the network has problems.

Copy the files to your local hard disk and update them there.
If this works, the NAS, the virus checker or the network is the culprit.

Thanks for your answer. The logile does not contain any usefull information. I attached it for you.

Update works fast if i restart imatch. Next time i will try to deactivate windows defender.
My files and Samba is 100% fine, i have no other issue except with imatch.

Does ist help if i activate debug logging next time when it happens?

plastikman

For me it was slow as well until I whitelisted the image directories in my virus scanner (Windows Defender). Now it is super fast unless there is a lot of data changed and there needs to be a write-read-write loop to update the files.

desmooloch

Quote from: plastikman on April 15, 2020, 01:03:11 PM
For me it was slow as well until I whitelisted the image directories in my virus scanner (Windows Defender). Now it is super fast unless there is a lot of data changed and there needs to be a write-read-write loop to update the files.

Hm good idea. I excluded my NAS photo folder.
I will report if it helps.

Mario

This looks like each attempt of ExifTool to write back data to your NAS resulted in ExifTool being blocked.
IMatch then closed it after 120 seconds and created a new instance. Which was again blocked.

This looks like some virus checker or other security feature is stopping ExifTool every time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

desmooloch

Thanks Mario and plastikman.
I deactivated Windows defender scan for my pictures and problem is gone.
Error solved :)

//edit:
arrrr happened again :( only one write-back hanging for minutes and than imatch crashed with a memory dump...

Mario

If your NAS forces IMatch to terminate and re-create ExifTool instances in a loop and all the time, something will break sooner or later.
You did sent me several DUMP files with the same issue already.

As I said above and in the email:

Move the files to your local disk and let IMatch update them there.
If this works, your network or whatever software or security stuff Synology runs on your NAS os the SAMBA version is the culprit for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator