AVI creation Date and Time

Started by clpratt, April 15, 2020, 10:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

Having read the Help section on "How IMatch uses Date and Time Information" I realise what a problem it is to extract meaningful and correct file dates and times from some file types. I have a particular problem with AVI video files.
My file window shows the Date & Time (Short Format) in the header. This date is the same as the Composite Modify Date, XMP Photoshop Date Subject Created, XMP xmp Create Date, XMP xmp Metadata Dateand XMP xmp Modified Date shown in the Metadata browser. But these records are not the actual date and time the video was recorded. The only correct record in the metadata browser is RIFF Hdrl Date/Time Original.
The formula for generating the correct creation date seems to work reliably for all my other video file formats but not for AVIs.
I understand that ExifTool has the difficult job of working this all out. Is it possible for ExifTool (Phil) to be asked if he can incorporate the RIFF Hdrl Date/Time original into the calculation please.

Mario

The date calculation is done by IMatch, not ExifTool.

Why don't you just set the XMP created/subject created tags from whatever tag you want using the TimeWiz or a Metadata Template?
There will always be files which have date and time in some obscure tag and this is an easy way to get the correct date into the correct tags.

Just use the variable representing the tag of your choice as the source, make sure it is formatted as YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS and you're good.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Thanks Mario, I will give it a try  :)