Import from iphones

Started by frlindla, April 15, 2020, 03:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

Do you know if there are plans to add a feature that make it possible to transfer photos from Phones/iphone Wireless to Imatch?

From my Nikon z6 I use a card Reader, but what is the best way to transfer photos from iphone to imatch?

Mario

Just copy/download your files to a folder on your hard disk - with whatever software is comfortable for you.
Note that Windows 10 has a built-in transfer software for phones and cameras. See https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-import-photos-with-windows-10/
This should work. Although, Apple is always special and makes it often hard to do the simplest things - unless you keep everything in Apple's walled garden.

If the folder you download to is already indexed by IMatch (many users use a dedicated "Download" folder for that), IMatch picks up the new files automatically, runs metadata templates if configured etc. You can then run Renamer preset to rename your files as you like them, move them into a different folder (or folders based on date or whatnot) etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

This is exactly what I do... plug in the phone via USB, allow access to the phone from the PC and then then just copy/paste the images from the phone to a folder on your computer.  I then cull the images (deleting things like receipts and other phone photo odd/ends) and then edit them in image editor du jour!  Then, I copy them from my Photos drive into my IMatch JPG photo drive for import into IMatch. 

I try to do this monthly for all household phones... although the images get backed up to cloud services automatically, then ensures I have all the originals backed up locally in full resolution...

enjoy!

frlindla

I am impressed by the support here. Mario, you are very good!

I am not sure I will choose iphone next time I buy a New phone. Have to use itunes to import to pc. Should be an easier way? This Windows import tool is not so good for iphones?

A very important thing for me is that I can avoid duplicates. If I rename photos during import from phone, should I delete photos from the phone to avoid duplicates next time I import from the phone? I Guess Imatch would not detect duplicates if imported photos are renamed and I try to import the same photos once more from the phone?

Jingo

I use Android but other family members use Apple phones... you don't need to use iTunes to import photos to the PC.. just plug in the phone via USB and open up the iPhone folder on your computer... if you provide permission to the PC on the phone, you will have full access to the images and videos on your phone.. then, just follow the copy/paste method I described below.

Deleting images off your phone is up to you... if you are running out of space - then by all means get rid of them once you back them up.  I use a variety of backup software on my phone and do delete older and larger photos/videos from time to time because I know I can use apps to review them from the backup.  If you don't have access to the backup photos on your phone, deleting them means not being able to access them while mobile.  If this is not important to you... then delete away~!

frlindla

Thanks for all help. But I have to ask:

I have created an import-folder and set Imatch to index it. When I have imported photos into this "Import"-folder, I want to move these photos to the right folders afterwards. Do I ctrl+x or ctrl+c? Would it create duplicates if I copy from the Import-folder to the right folders?

Mario

If you use the copy command, you copy the files (creates duplicates). If you use the move command, you move the files from the import folder into the target folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

I have an iPhone XR and I use a free iOS app called WiFi Photo Transfer to zip and wirelessly copy images from my phone camera roll to my computer.  Works great!  Then on the PC I need to unzip the images and move them into the IMatch folder they'll be stored in. 
Another iPhone app for doing this (I don't know if it zips images or just copies them as is) that's not free but looks very good is called PhotoSync.

If you don't mind plugging a cable into your phone to transfer for iPhone images the free FastStone Image Viewer works great.

In IMatch I have a formula category that detects and shows all newly added .CR2 and .DNG raw images (the formats I shoot in).  I click on that category to add metadata and assign categories to the new images. 

Afterwards I don't need to move the images because they're already in their destination folders.