Edit IPTC Data?

Started by richard49, April 15, 2020, 07:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard49

Is it possible (because I can't find out how to) edit the entries in the IPTC fields as I've made a few errors and want to correct them?

For instance, can I find the IPTC data as a list and/or delete/modify any of the entries I've made into those fields?

Thank you for your time...

Richard
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

jch2103

Look for the built-in '4 IPTC Metadata' metadata panel (in the drop-down in the Metadata panel).

On the other hand, I've gone through my images and deleted all of the IPTC metadata in them, because of the potential for conflicts with other, standard metadata.
John

Mario

Do you mean legacy (IIM3) IPTC (legacy for 15 years!) or the IPTC which is part of XMP?
Which IPTC fields do you mean (tags)?

The Default layout in the Metadata Panel shows a common and useful mix of XMP and IPTC fields.
When you switch to the "IPTC Metadata" layout you see all common IPTCCore and IPTCExt tags which are part of IPTC.
IMatch synchronizes these during read and write with existing legacy IPTC data if your files contain old IPTC data.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

richard49

Yes, its the '4 IPTC Metadata panel'.

On the field for 'Creator City' I have the option (when clicking into this field) for 'Melksham' (where I live) or for 'M' which I wish to delete but can't find out how to
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Mario

Just type in what you want. The list just presents the recently used entries (history) and entries from the Universal Thesaurus for this tag, if you have added some. Open the context menu of that tag with the little button to reset the history, work with the thesaurus etc.

I recommend to re-read the help topic on the Metadata Panel to learn about all its features and operations: In Your Language
You will use it often and knowing how to use it properly will save you a lo of time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rene Toepfer

I am coming back to this issue.

How can the keywords be added to an IPTC using thesaurus? For example I have a keyword Ort|Deutschland|Köln set. For this I need to set LocationCreatedCountryName=Deutschland and LocationCreatedCity=Köln but only manually either in 4 or 7 of the Metadate Panel. I have not found a switch at the Thesaurus to specify an IPTC field.
It is possible to add the values for IPTC manually for each image (or a batch of images) but I see the risk that the wrong fields will be filled in.

I was looking here for some more details:
https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_metadata2.htm
https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#md_writeback.htm

Mario

QuoteHow can the keywords be added to an IPTC using thesaurus?

You add keywords to files using the the Keywords Panel.
The Keyword panel makes suggestions from your thesaurus while you type. It also displays your thesaurus so you can assign keywords from your thesaurus with a single click. See the help topic above for all information.
You can also assign keywords to your files using the special @Keywords Category and via the Category Panel. And Favorites

QuoteFor this I need to set LocationCreatedCountryName=Deutschland and LocationCreatedCity=Köln b

These meatdata tag are not keywords. These tags are part of the IPTC or IPTCExt XMP namespace. Part of the location data available in IPTC.
These tags are filled either

+ manually by the user
+ via a metadata template (often using an IMatch Location)
+ or automatically via IMatch's Reverse Geocoding

You can add data for these tags to the Thesaurus like you can add data for keywords. This allows you to use pre-defined lists.
Use context menu in the Thesaurus in the Metadata Panel to add data for any tag to your thesaurus or to fetch data from the thesaurus.

If you shoot the same spots often, create a location for them. You can then assign this location to your files, even automatically during the import (when your files have GPS data) or via a metadata template.
Even if the actual location varies, you can fill in country, city, zip etc. using a location and then change the street name / location manually as needed.
Locations
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rene Toepfer

Quote from: Mario on March 11, 2021, 04:46:13 PM
The Keyword panel makes suggestions from your thesaurus while you type. It also displays your thesaurus so you can assign keywords from your thesaurus with a single click.
Unfortunatelly not, the thesaurus pops not up like in "Hier neue Schlüsselwörter eingeben" in Keyword Panel. Even if I hit F5 it does not pop up. I have tried in several IPTC fields like LocationCreatedCountryName and was also looking at the gear wheel if I need/have to set something.

Edit: I see, with thesaurus at the IPTC fields is not meant the thesaurus of the keywords.

Quote from: Mario on March 11, 2021, 04:46:13 PM
These meatdata tag are not keywords. These tags are part of the IPTC or IPTCExt XMP namespace. Part of the location data available in IPTC.
I was looking for a setting that with a keyword I select, also a defined IPTC tag will be filled in. Of course it needs to be defined ones in thesaurus. For example I create a keyword "Deutschland" and I could set in addition "LocationCreatedCountryName=Deutschland" and than, if selecting the keyword Deutschland, also the defined IPTC field will be set. I guess it is similar to the thread https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=11122.0

Edit: For "Person in Image" it is solved as I described.

Mario

F5 adds the field content to the thesaurus. There is nothing that pops up.
Check your thesaurus and see which entries you have already created using F6.

I have created several entries for Headline for a quick test. Just adding text then pressing F6.
Now, when I type the first letter, the thesaurus pops up and shows me suggestions:

When I press F5 instead, all entries for this tag are shown. It works exactly as documented in the help topic I've linked to in my reply.

And in the Thesaurus Manager, it looks like this:

QuoteI was looking for a setting that with a keyword I select, also a defined IPTC tag will be filled in.

You want IMatch to fill data in arbitrary tags, e.g. IPTC location, when you add keywords?
There is no such feature in the thesaurus or everywhere in IMatch.

This functionality (filling many tags at once) is implemented in Metadata Templates which I have explained, I'm sure.
Fill keywords, location data and any other tag, copy metadata between tags, fix metadata etc.  all with a single keypress, a mouse-click or event automatically during ingest. I've wrote that below. Have you worked with Metadata Templates yet?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rene Toepfer

It does not work. I have created an entry called Testland. If I open the thesaurus and look for Testland, nothing will be found.
Edit: Video added

Solved, your last modification made it clear where to look for.

Mario

You probably just did not select the tag at the top. The Thesaurus shows only the data for the tag you select at the top, and only shows the tags for which you have created data so far.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Rene Toepfer

Correct, I have not selected the tag at the top. When I was using the Search I was of the opinion that it was also looking the whole thesaurus and not just at the selected tag.