Face Detection Processing Questions & Comments

Started by claudermilk, April 11, 2020, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claudermilk

I am now getting deep into adding face annotations to my database and noted some behavior oddities I have questions about. This is all while in the Viewer when confirming/adding faces.

1) Sometimes when I move to an image, all the "?" on un-guessed faces shows a black/grey screen. When this happens, I cannot update. I delete all the detected faces, and F4 re-detect. Then IMatch correctly shows a red-screened "?" (or, makes a usually good match) and I can update ok. Is this a bug?

2) Sometimes an image is shown with a thicker green annotation border, sometimes a thinner border. Why is this? Does it make a difference? I see no change in behavior, just curious why IMatch is changing the display.

3) When assigning a face (e.g., with an incorrect match, or a "?" no match), in the F2 person selector, is there a difference between picking from the left side suggestions (1,2,3, etc.) or the right side recents (A, B, C, etc.)?

4) Sometimes the "R" Not this person hotkey doesn't respond. I don't see this problem with "C" or "I" hotkey to confirm or ignore. A bug?

Side note, performance photography really gives the AI a workout! Stage lighting, makeup, and the weird angles I get causes a lot of misses. Profile & 3/4 view detection will be huge for me if/when that is added.

Mario

Quotethe "?" on un-guessed faces shows a black/grey screen.

1) IMatch busy reclustering the person in the background?
Not sure what you mean by that,

2) Focused annotation? Annotations showing as disabled while the person is updated? Watch the "Updating person overlay".

3)

Left side: Suggestens from the AI.
Right side: Recently used persons.

See the help for details about the Person selector.

4) Make sure the selector has the focus (click on it)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

claudermilk

So for #1, what I mean is faces were detected, but no matches in defined people were found. So I see the "?" below the annotation frame. The issue is when I see that with a dark gray background; if that happens I cannot open the person selector & pick someone. The dialog will open, and I can click, but nothing is assigned. To fix that, I have to delete all face annotations and re-scan the image.

When it's working ok, either there is a match needing confirmation, or not match and the "?" has a red background. It's not a big deal now that I've gotten quick with seeing the issues and just cycling through the delete-rescan process.

For #2, I see no difference in behavior for confirming or picking people. It doesn't matter if I have focused on an annotation or not. It seems to run for a while one way, then switches to the other. No issues with getting my tasks done, just curious if anything is being indicated by the change.

For #3, I did look in help. It didn't seem to make a difference, just checking.

On #4, I have made sure the specific annotation was selected. I tried tabbing to it, clicking on it, deselecting and re-selecting. Even switching images. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

Mario

For 1, a screen shot would really help to show us what you see.

For the other case: Try to figure out steps which allow me to reproduce this. If I can reproduce this, I can fix it.
Also include info about your hardware. If you use mouse, touch, second monitor, zoom mode in the Viewer, how you navigate between files, how the viewer is configured (which panels and overlays show where)...all this matters and may be the reason why you are experiencing such 'fuzzy' effects.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

claudermilk

Attached is an example of the grey background "?" I am seeing. Oddly, once I saw this where IMatch then recognized the two people in the annotations. But otherwise, it seems stuck. This one is also an example of the thin border on the annotation; it's more of curiosity there since I am not seeing any behavior difference.

BTW, I've updated to 2020.4.2. WOW! Such an improvement! Detection seems a bit quicker, but more important to me is that it's catching faces more reliably, it's detecting lots more 3/4 and even some profile shots. It's more tolerant of slight obstruction to the face (usually hands or costume bits).

The Face Manager has potential to be a huge time saver & QC help.

One further question: why did the shortcut key move from F4 to F6? I've already gotten used to F4 and am having to re-train my fingers for the longer reach.

plastikman

Quote from: claudermilk on April 14, 2020, 04:59:30 AM
One further question: why did the shortcut key move from F4 to F6? I've already gotten used to F4 and am having to re-train my fingers for the longer reach.

This one caught me out too!

Regarding your OP: I also observe this behavior regularly. Sometimes when you bring up the name window in the viewer with F2, you then select a person but then it doesn't update in the viewer once the pop-up closes and the name label gets stuck on the "?", sometimes also with a very small lag for the interface on the particular picture to become responsive. The way I resolve this is simply move back/forward to next/previous picture for a second, then go back to the picture in question and hit F2 again after which it in 99% of cases works as normal. This might be related to very fast keyboard shortcut inputs on my side and doing this in batch for quite some time in a row.

Mario

F4 and F6 : Consistency.
The FM is always opened with F4 (File Window, People View, Viewer).

Strike-through face annotation: IMatch could not find a face in that area / no face fingerprint.
Try moving and resizing the face area until IMatch can identify a face.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

claudermilk

I kind of thought that somehow IMatch was now saying no face detected. The weird part is that has always been from running face detection from the file window using the context menu. So these are all annotations added by the AI. It seems like a bug. For me it's not that big a stumbling block, as mentioned, I am now trained to see that this has happened immediately when opening the image in the Viewer, and I'm pretty quick with the Tab-Del-F6 sequence now.  ;) Usually, forcing a re-scan like that it recognizes the face and usually the person.

Knowing this is still essentially v1.0 (now 1.1?) of face detection, it's a fantastic start. I've been hoping & waiting for this functionality for a while and am now eyeball-deep in refreshing my database with the new capability. Which is a good thing, because I'm getting better tagging on lots of images that I was a bit lax on before.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

claudermilk

Quote from: claudermilk on April 11, 2020, 07:57:38 PM
2) Sometimes an image is shown with a thicker green annotation border, sometimes a thinner border. Why is this? Does it make a difference? I see no change in behavior, just curious why IMatch is changing the display.
I finally figured this one out. It's image resolution. Newer cameras with higher MP counts (e.g., Canon 7D) show the thin box. Older cameras with lower MP counts (e.g., Canon 20D) show thicker boxes.

Edit: Scratch that. It's related to the number of pixels IMatch is displaying. The 20D falls under the "display thicker box" threshold, the 7D is above it. If I zoom in on the 7D image and it's the thicker boxes. Not really important, but now I know why it's doing what it's doing. :)

jch2103

Thank you for figuring this out! I'd wondered about the difference in box thicknesses but hadn't tried to investigate. In my case, some cropped images added to the camera/model difference, but your deduction explains all this.
John