Started by thrinn, April 28, 2020, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrinn

Thanks, Mario!

Downloaded and installed without problems.

This time, to follow the recommendation in the announcement, I did not use the Updater App, but deinstalled the previous version first. Installation run fast and without problems. Alas, this time a reboot was required after the installation. Maybe this has something to do with the new installer as I think I never had to reboot after previous updates.

And again, an impressive list of enhancements and fixes!

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Strange.
I had never to reboot and I tried 5 different Windows installations.
But maybe some other installer had something installed and  reboot was needed in order to complete the installation.

Franky, installing software on Windows is way beyond rocket science these days. It's actually a profession and area of consultancy nowadays.
I have scienced a number of rockets to sh*t in my days, but doing something apparently simple like installing a software on Windows is mind boggling.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

Check for updates in Imatch 2020.4.8 says there is a new update. If I click on download en update it says I am already running 2020.4.10. But when I got to Imatch 2020 About it shows I am running 2020.4.8. See attached screenshots.

Downloading manual via customer portal now.

p.s. I am amazed by the speed and quality of your . releases. Just wow!

plastikman

FYI: For me it was just one reboot after installation. Windows 10 build 1909.

BanjoTom

No problems downloading and installing.  As instructed, I first uninstalled the previous version, then installed 2020.4.10.   As others noted, I had  to reboot to complete the install, but that was no big deal.  As always with a new version, I'll need to explore the new or changed features -- "Real Soon Now!" --but at least the install went very smoothly.  Thanks!
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Tveloso

Same here.  Successful install, following the uninstall of .4.8 as instructed in the Announcement.

Quote from: plastikman on April 28, 2020, 10:25:01 PM
Check for updates in Imatch 2020.4.8 says there is a new update. If I click on download en update it says I am already running 2020.4.10. But when I got to Imatch 2020 About it shows I am running 2020.4.8. See attached screenshots.
I too had this experience (launched the IMatch Updater App from the Help Menu Check for Update option)...selecting to download from the Customer Portal worked just fine.

Quote from: BanjoTom on April 29, 2020, 02:20:37 AM
As others noted, I had to reboot to complete the install, but that was no big deal.
Same here as well...the new IMatch Installer gave the option to re-start later as well:

Quote from: plastikman on April 28, 2020, 10:25:01 PM
p.s. I am amazed by the speed and quality of your . releases. Just wow!
Wow indeed!

Thank you so much Mario!
--Tony

herman

Install went smoothly as usual, had to reboot the box like others reported.
But, most important, I can confirm the memory-eating bug has been squashed.
Thank you!

One minor thing though, probably caused by the flashy new installer:
In previous versions we had a "photools" folder in the Start menu (Start button - All apps - letter P).
In this version all IMatch menu items are at the top level (Start button - All apps - letter I).
IMHO not worth a bug report, not even a separate topic, but I thought you might want to know  ;)
Enjoy!

Herman.

ben

Mario,

Before I uninstall the previous version, do I have to separately backup my settings, pannels, favourites etc?
I did run pack and go backup already.

Thanks for clarification
Ben

Mario

QuoteIn this version all IMatch menu items are at the top level (Start button - All apps - letter I).

This is intentional. Users did not find IMatch inside the photools.com sub-folder. They were looking for it under "I", for IMatch.
Microsoft and other vendors also have changed how they fill the START menu. You will find "Word" under "W", not tucked away under Microsoft > Office > ... Word.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: ben on April 29, 2020, 08:23:07 AM
Mario,

Before I uninstall the previous version, do I have to separately backup my settings, pannels, favourites etc?

Thanks for clarification
Ben

When you have a Pack & Go and you have verified that it is complete and can restore your settings and database (Pack & Go is not a backup utility, it is for moving IMatch databases and settings easily between computers), you don't need a separate backup. IMatch 2020.10.4 does not introduce a new database format or changes to the settings (if you have used 2020.4.8 before).

But, a separate backup takes less than a minute and is always useful.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

abgestumpft

Quote from: ben on April 29, 2020, 08:23:07 AM
Mario,

Thanks for clarification
Ben

Hi Ben,

after uninstall of iMatch and installing the 2020.4.10 from scratch I still have the same panel layout, favourites, application preferences,... than before. So this is obviously all stored in the database.

abgestumpft

Hi,

I can confirm those are working now on my side:
#01123   Face Manager: Invert Selection
#01126   Face Manager: Goto Folder
#01128   Face Recognition (Tested with same workflow as described here: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10106.msg71821#msg71821)

Mario

Quote from: abgestumpft on April 29, 2020, 09:28:37 AM
after uninstall of iMatch and installing the 2020.4.10 from scratch I still have the same panel layout, favourites, application preferences,... than before. So this is obviously all stored in the database.

Uninstalling IMatch does not touch the settings database or presets etc. created by the user.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

HaWo

Ich bin unsicher, meinst du ich muss hier löschen (Win10)?

Windows Einstellungen > Apps > Apps & Features > IMatch für Windows (Licenced Version) 
Hans-Wolfgang

Mario

Ja. Dann die neue Version installieren.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

akirot

Uninstalling the former IMatch version deletes the IMatch ProgramData folder - including self written apps :-( . I had to restore from backup.
So - be warned!

HaWo

Vielen Dank, Löschen und Neuinstalltation hat auf Anhieb geklappt.
Hans-Wolfgang

thrinn

Quote from: akirot on April 29, 2020, 12:16:26 PM
Uninstalling the former IMatch version deletes the IMatch ProgramData folder - including self written apps :-( . I had to restore from backup.
So - be warned!

You are right - I did not see this when I upgraded yesterday. No harm done, because I have a backup, of course.

Mario, please: Could you add a short warning to the announcement that ProgramData will be deleted? Especially as you recommend to deinstall the previous version first, which I have never done before.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

ben

Uninstalling also deleted (part) of my ProgrammData\photools folder!

At least the folder: webroot\user has been removed
That's where some of my apps were stored. Not sure if that was the right location, though

wolboe

My experience so far:
Update from IM ends with the message "Latest version already installed." Installation after manual download ran without problems (old version was not uninstalled). Windows restart was not requested.
Directory "user" was empty - restored from backup.

Wolfgang

Mario

Quote from: ben on April 29, 2020, 02:00:12 PM
Uninstalling also deleted (part) of my ProgrammData\photools folder!

At least the folder: webroot\user has been removed
That's where some of my apps were stored. Not sure if that was the right location, though

Already reported as a bug and already fixed for the next release. See https://www.photools.com/release-notes/
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

claudermilk

Thanks for the warning on the ProgramData folder everyone. I'll be updating later today and I'll remember to back that up first. It looks like this update fixes several minor things I have been seeing.

busbahnhof

New installation was without problems. Window settings and database where there afterwards :-) And it seems to me that the database is opened and closed faster when starting/closing the program. Now and then the icon "disappears" from the taskbar: It remains just a grey square instead of the typical IMatch icon.

But in total, well done. Thank you!

Mario

If you have pinned the icon to the task bar, you need to pin it again. This is normal and can happen.
Right click on IMatch in the START menu and choose "Pin to Taskbar".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JohnZeman

And after pinning it if you end up with 2 IMatch icons in the taskbar (as I did), try removing IMatch from the taskbar, then launch IMatch normally and then right click the IMatch icon and pin it to the taskbar. 

That solved the double icon in the taskbar issue for me.

dkorman

My antivirus seems to be 'annoyed' with 2020.4.10 - a problem I have not previously encountered (and which through various installs and uninstalls of iMatch versions, seems to be particular to 2020.4.10).

On installation:

Norton 'Data Protector' refused to allow 'imatch_licensed_2020_4_10_x64.exe' to access the Windows Start menu.  If I turn off the Norton function, iMatch 2020.4.10 installs without a problem. (see 1st image)

After installation:

Norton 'Data Protector' allows for 'Process Exclusions', to which I added iMatch and all the *.exe's in the "Program Files\photools.com" folder.  This seems to have 'fixed' problems I noticed in copying files from outside iMatch to iMatch managed folders, and problems deleting files within iMatch managed folders.

However, I've notice that PDF thumbnails are no longer generated and can not be 'forced'.  Is there some iMatch-related process that I need to now additionally exclude in order for thumbnails to be generated.  Additionally, are there any other processes that iMatch requires that need to be excluded in order for iMatch to run successfully?

Thanks,
David

hro

Also installed without problems.
But had to restart my machine afterwards.

Rgds. Hartmut

claudermilk

Reboot required here as well. No big deal. I also uninstalled the previous version (and, LOL, found I had 5.6.22 still lurking--begone!).

Didn't have to mess with my pinned start menu icon. Uninstalling removed the existing one and the reinstall restored it.

2020.4.10 loads fast! Overall the face processing is quicker.

Mario

Quote from: dkorman on April 30, 2020, 02:43:39 AM
However, I've notice that PDF thumbnails are no longer generated and can not be 'forced'.  Is there some iMatch-related process that I need to now additionally exclude in order for thumbnails to be generated.  Additionally, are there any other processes that iMatch requires that need to be excluded in order for iMatch to run successfully?

The Norton brand virus checkers are always troublesome.

The PDF issue was reported by two other users (see either this container thread or the bug report board, not sure).
I could so far not reproduce this.

Nothing has changed in how IMatch processes PDF files for several months so this has to be some side effect from something...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

emef

Quote from: Mario on April 29, 2020, 09:21:09 AM

(...) IMatch 2020.10.4 does not introduce a new database format or changes to the settings (if you have used 2020.4.8 before).

But, a separate backup takes less than a minute and is always useful.

Hello Mario,
I would like a little clarification: I work in dual-boot Windows10 and Windows7, my IMatch database (IMD5 file) is on 'H' and I have IMatch 2020.4.8 on both systems, which allows me to use d 'IMatch with the same base regardless of the system where I boot. As you point out that there is not this time a new format of this base, I suppose that I can install version 2020.4.10 under Windows10 and also use this base under Windows7 (and its version 2020.4.8) without any problems?
Thank you in advance.

Bonjour Mario,
je souhaiterais une petite précision : je travaille en dual-boot Windows10 et Windows7, ma base IMatch (fichier IMD5) se trouve sur "H" et j'ai IMatch 2020.4.8 sur les deux systèmes, ce qui me permet de me servir d'IMatch avec la même base quel que soit le système où je boote. Comme vous signalez qu'il n'y a pas cette fois de nouveau format de cette base, je suppose que je peux installer la version 2020.4.10 sous Windows10 et me servir aussi de cette base sous Windows7 (et sa version 2020.4.8) sans aucuns problèmes ?
Merci d'avance.

Mario

IMatch databases can change with any release. Every time ExifTool is updated and the corresponding information in the database changes, the database version is incremented. This prevents problems becoming damaged when users attempt to use different IMatch versions with different ExifTool versions on the same database.

When I understand you correctly you want somehow keep IMatch running on the legacy Windows 7 while also working with a newer version of IMatch on Windows 10.
This may work for one minor version step, but I would not assume that. This is not something I endorse or support. Always use the same IMatch version on all computers and nodes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

emef

JI think you are right. So I will only use IMatch on Windows 10.
Have a good day.

claudermilk

Quote from: Mario on April 30, 2020, 08:41:15 AM
The Norton brand virus checkers are always troublesome.
LOL. IMHO Norton has become worse than the viruses. My ears still burn from a friend's rant about trying to remove it from an older PC of his. I recall I eventually replied with "Nuke it from orbit, that't the only way to be sure"...and he didn't disagree.

Mario

Uninstalling a virus checker is always difficult. Because, otherwise the virus programmers would do it themselves  ;D

I have experienced the "Throw away the hard disk, buy a new one and start by installing Windows" myself. We should have done that a day eariler, would have saved some nerves.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

IMO, virus scanners are mostly pointless. Just a waste of money. Use common sense when using the internet, use Ublock Origin or similar, don't download illegal software/cracks and configure Windows Defender in the right way. I have done so for years and never ever had a single infection/problem. The main virus on my computer is Windows itself.... just tried to install Windows build 2004 four times and the installation keeps failing. Only Microsoft/Windows can manage to have system updates fail consistently for decades.... never had that problem with Linux, iOS, Android or macOS.

Mario

If you deliberately exclude keywords that way, the thesaurus no longer sees them when mapping flat keywords back.
Don't use this option. I has been added for very specific purposes and is not necessarily compatible with all fringe cases or features. I can only do so much, sorry.
And it is a very good way to shot yourself in the foot when you just enable it because you consider it useful at a specific moment. It can have dire consequences down the road when you no longer remember and then report mapping bugs and we all have to spend time digging into this.

Yes. I know. You have your reasons to explicitly and deliberately leave out some hierarchical keyword levels when flattening. But then the behavior in the reverse lookup is what you get.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on April 30, 2020, 08:07:00 PM
If you deliberately exclude keywords that way, the thesaurus no longer sees them when mapping flat keywords back.
Don't use this option. I has been added for very specific purposes and is not necessarily compatible with all fringe cases or features. I can only do so much, sorry.
And it is a very good way to shot yourself in the foot when you just enable it because you consider it useful at a specific moment. It can have dire consequences down the road when you no longer remember and then report mapping bugs and we all have to spend time digging into this.

Yes. I know. You have your reasons to explicitly and deliberately leave out some hierarchical keyword levels when flattening. But then the behavior in the reverse lookup is what you get.

Wrong reply/topic. But I get your point. I might just as well revert to flat or nearly keywords completely. All the complications just don't seem to be worth it. I see no point in having "Objects" or something like "Seasons" in my flat keywords. But there is some value in seeing Seasons|spring. Thanks for your advice!

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on April 29, 2020, 08:04:31 PM
If you have pinned the icon to the task bar, you need to pin it again. This is normal and can happen.
Right click on IMatch in the START menu and choose "Pin to Taskbar".
I'm used to that. Until now, I had to remove the old icon and re-pin to the task bar at each update of iMatch. A bit annoying, especially as it doesn't happen with most other applications when they are updated (only when the path changes).

mastodon

I fell that this versions of IMatch are opening and  closinig much quicker that a year before! :)

Mario

Quote from: mastodon on May 02, 2020, 07:01:42 AM
I fell that this versions of IMatch are opening and  closinig much quicker that a year before! :)

You compare with a 2019 version?
IMatch 2020 contains substantial performance enhancements and improved parallelism capabilities for database operations. Which allows IMatch to do more at the same time.
And this can help with background operations like updating categories, re-calculating data-driven categories, collections etc. Faster and less likely to interfere with the user interface.

I have also streamlined some operations required during the database load, which saves about 20% or so in the startup time. Especially for larger databases with 100,000+ files.

Glad that you like it. Enjoy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mastodon

Yes, I think, that IMatch 2020 brought the quick open/close, but I have just realised.