Renamer - Feature Request for collections and copy

Started by Reinhard, May 02, 2020, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinhard

Hi,

to clean up and sort a large image archive and to manage new images from multiple cameras I use the renamer excessively.
In my presets I often use the copy and/or move steps.

It would be nice if there were 2 additional functions:

1. One step (maybe more) that can manipulate Flags, Dots and Pins.

2. A 'copy' step that leave the original filename untouched and only renames the copied file(s).

I know that the first point is not a typical renaming job. But I think it would be useful for some workflows and for me it would save an additional metadata template for 'Working with Collections'

Dirk Funhoff

Dear all,

I second this. For me, copying first and then changing name only on the copy would be nice. As it is currently, the copy step is always the last, so the name change alters the original file.

Thanks for considering, have a nice weekend, Dirk

ubacher

This request has come up several times before. As I recall it is rather difficult to implement.

After all, it is most likely that you would copy the files to directories outside of Imatch.

+1 from me

Mario

The Renamer, as the name implies, is a tool to rename files.
The option to copy or move the file after the rename was added to simply solve problems - like making a backup copy of the renamed file before processing.

Copying the file before renaming it is a totally different thing. From variables to scope, even copying the file outside the database and thus making it impossible to use any variables in the rename would be possible - and users would do it.

If you plan to force the Renamer to become some sort of distribution or export tool, consider the the Batch Processor instead.

If gives you control over the file name, can create folders on-the-fly based on variables and whatnot.
Use the Export Original File Unmodified]option to not convert the original file[/url] and it basically becomes a copy tool, with many additional features.

It won't change collections like dots or pins. This is neither the scope nor the task for a file renaming tool or the Batch Processor.
I understand that your personal workflow would benefit from that. But I doubt that many users would use that. Or maybe a few other users would rather want the Renamer or Batch Processor to change categories instead of collections...

Maybe it would not be so hard to run the Renamer and then a metadata template right afterwards?
If you use IMatch Favorites, you can do both with a single mouse click or keyboard shortcut. For the same selection, for any number of files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Dirk Funhoff

Dear Mario,

thanks for the quick answer - as you assumed, my work flow would benefit. I will check out favourites.

All the best, Dirk