Identifying the CURRENT workspace

Started by BanjoTom, May 02, 2020, 04:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanjoTom

I previously had a problem with a "Favorite" that runs a Metadata Template; the Favorite seemed to disappear when I closed IMatch.  That problem is apparently solved since I (1) created a new Favorite group in which to store that and other Metadata Template favorites, AND (2) I made a point of saving the workspace. 

But: I now note that when I see the Workspace view, there is no highlight or other means of identifying the Workspace I'm currently using.  (see attached screenshot).

Do I need to reset the workspace?  Or is there some other way to clearly identify the workspace that is currently in use?
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

PaulS

Hi Tom,

There is a variable with this info:  {Application.Workspace.Name}

You can see the value by using the VarToy App

I use Preferences to set up the ID Plate at the top of the screen to show this at all times.  See screen grab.

Paul

Mario

There is a current workspace. It is automatically saved and loaded. This workspace has no name.
If you want to persist the workspace under a "name" so you can change your settings and later restore them, you use the "Save Workspace" command.
When you later load a workspace, it is loaded and copied into the current workspace.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

The reply above by PaulS gives me a working solution -- thanks. 

But in the IMatch Help, the view of the Workspaces, under "Loading Workspaces," shows an orange/yellowish highlight under entry "3 Edit Metadata" and also under the icon for entry "4 Maximum Files."   I was hoping that I would also see such colored highlights, but I never do. . . 

Mario

Just load the workspace you want to work with.
There is no indicator because IMatch does not remember which workspace you loaded. No need for that.
Are your workspaces so similar that you cannot tell which one was loaded last?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

No problem.  I can work with workspaces easily, and PaulS's reminder makes it easy to see which is the current one.  I simply thought that there might be a color-coded reminder, as shown in the Help file. 

Mario

I then shall update the help file. Probably an old screen shot no user ever reported.
Use the link at the bottom of each help page to report typos or issues like this. These emails go into a special inbox which I look at and process every couple of weeks. This way the help is constantly improving.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

PaulS

Hi Tom,

Mario made some good clarifications.

To make sure I did not mislead you, I want to explain the behavior of the {Application.Workspace.Name} variable as I have observed it.

As Mario explained, there is a current or active workspace which is always what you are modify when you add, hide, or move panels.  Saved Workspaces are never affected by these changes.

However, the {Application.Workspace.Name} variable is only updated when you load a Workspace by selecting it from the menu.  So it shows the name of the last Workspace that was loaded - or in other words, the one that you started from.  If you make any changes to the Workspace, the variable is not updated, and your current workspace will no longer be consistent with the saved Workspace that is indicated by the variable.

To remind myself, I have updated my ID Plate preference to "Last Workspace Loaded: {Application.Workspace.Name}"

You should also be aware that when you decide you like your Workspace and save it, the variable does not update.  So after saving, you should immediately Load the workspace you just saved so that this variable is accurate.

As this last behavior is a bit non-intuitive, I will file a bug report to request that this variable also be updated when the current Workspace is saved.

Paul

thrinn

QuoteAs Mario explained, there is a current or active workspace which is always what you are modify when you add, hide, or move panels.  Saved Workspaces are never affected by these changes.
And Mario implemented this in this way on request of some users (me, for example). We had quite a lengthy discussion about how workspaces should behave five years ago. You can still find the old thread here.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA