New Computer - Face Detection and Recognition

Started by PaulS, May 02, 2020, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulS

I will likely replace my notebook PC in the next weeks or months and have reviewed the IMatch HW and SW requirements here:

https://www.photools.com/hardware-software-requirements/

I already have my IMatch database and images on an SSD, have 8GB of RAM, and have never had issues with performance.  I do have Nvidia graphics card, however it has caused more issues than benefit and so I use the Intel integrated chipset instead.

Since IMatch now does facial recognition using AI, I am wondering if I should make sure to get a PC that has a more powerful GPU than the typical Intel integrated chipset, in case IMatch does now or might in the future makes use of a GPU for this purpose?

Or if there are any other new recommendations based on the planned progression of IMatch?

Mario

IMatch does currently not use the GPU for AI. Only the processors.
And on modern processors (like Ryzen) IMatch can detect and recognize hundreds if not thousands of faces per minute (depends on the number of cores, image size etc.)

AI code cannot run on every graphic cards, only on selected (expensive) models. And mostly nVidea, AMD cards are not that useful.
Relying on specific graphic cards would be useless. It would fail in most cases for the 'average' user. Even the requirement for the 10 year old AVX processor features caused problems for some users...

Graphic cards are not that often used for AI processing (like face recog) but can massively speed up the training of new models. Which is why I have an AI-capable graphic card (2, actually).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Where a GPU may make a significant difference is with certain raw processor programs. Unfortunately, I can't provide any specifics of which raw processor/GPU would be best for this.
John

PaulS