Synonyms

Started by Stevef48, May 06, 2020, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevef48

I do a lot of photography of insects and most only have a Latin (binomial) name, but some have common names. My Thesaurus contains common names, with the Latin names as synonyms.
I thought that applying the Common Name to an image would make IMatch add the Latin name too, but that doesn't seem to be the case. What have I done wrong?
Is there a simple way to make all Thesaurus entries the same language (en-gb). Some entries are already en-gb, but others aren't.
Steve

Mario

Do not mix languages in the thesaurus.
None of the metadata standards in use today can handle multi-language keywords. Best to use the neutral language.

IMatch will not assign synonyms in other languages than the current (by default neutral language). And the synonym in your screen shot is not in the neutral language.
Stick to the neutral language setting when adding keywords and synonyms. This is the default and works best across all applications and services.

The thesaurus is several steps ahead (since IMatch 5) but real multi-lang support did not really make it into XMP, and legacy IPTC/EXIF/GPS etc. had and never will support multiple language inputs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on May 06, 2020, 03:01:03 PM
Do not mix languages in the thesaurus.
None of the metadata standards in use today can handle multi-language keywords. Best to use the neutral language.

Mario: if this is your advice, then from my point of view (user experience designer) this functionality shouldn't be there (anymore) or definitely not as prominent (e.g. only visible when a setting is toggled) because it invites the user to use it (I tried the other day but read your advice before). It might be in the documentation but most users won't read that first before they do something. 

I get why it was put there, but if the world didn't change the way you expected, maybe take it out/disable it. This is how software gets overly complicated without real benefit for the user.

Stevef48

I deleted the languages with Notepad++. Now when I enter a keyword the synonym is also added to the image, in a different colour, it's also shown in its own category.
Please alter the help and tell everyone that having a few keywords with a language stops synonyms working (I had 6, out of 2,342).

I've used this on some of my keywords and found another mystery. Some of the images are marked as 'Updating' and that hasn't changed for several minutes. Is there a way to expedite this? I'd like to change the keywords to move them out of a redundant category.
Steve

Mario

IMatch assigns keywords and synonyms in the current language. This is documented.
And there is also a warning about using non-neutral thesaurus content. But the option is useful for users who need it and know why they need it.

Your log file contains messages like

Cannot write to off-line/read-only file D:\Photos\2010\.dtrash\files\P1030763-b761e55a.JPG

for at least 3 files.

I also see a ton of messages about your files containing invalid date and time information. I recommend you set a valid date and time in IMatch first, then let it write back.

All this info and the file names affected are in your log file.
Search for ETWARN: and W>

I'm sure if you fix all the metadata mess in your files we will see a lot less reports like this.
If in doubt, use the Metadata Analyst app in IMatch to give your files a quick check.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: plastikman on May 06, 2020, 04:38:15 PM
Mario: if this is your advice, then from my point of view (user experience designer) this functionality shouldn't be there (anymore) or definitely not as prominent (e.g. only visible when a setting is toggled) because it invites the user to use it (I tried the other day but read your advice before). It might be in the documentation but most users won't read that first before they do something. 

I get why it was put there, but if the world didn't change the way you expected, maybe take it out/disable it. This is how software gets overly complicated without real benefit for the user.

This is worth some thought. But since IMatch 5 back in the day, not many user ever reported issues with the thesaurus, so this might not be as big a problem as one might thing.
I see a change in the user base in IMatch. New users come in with different 'education in software'. IMatch is already adapting to this, by removing/hiding more complex features and stripping options. Simplifying is always good, but not dumbing down too much.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on May 07, 2020, 01:53:08 PM
This is worth some thought. But since IMatch 5 back in the day, not many user ever reported issues with the thesaurus, so this might not be as big a problem as one might thing.
I see a change in the user base in IMatch. New users come in with different 'education in software'. IMatch is already adapting to this, by removing/hiding more complex features and stripping options. Simplifying is always good, but not dumbing down too much.

Perfect, and I think you're observation is right in terms of user base. I think IMatch is fantastic software, among the best I use. I don't think "power features" should be removed, but some could be either "hidden from view" or transferred to an "there is an app for that". I find the App Manager perhaps the best feature of IMatch, like a swiss-army knife. This turns the software into a platform, instead of mere software. And the fact that this is not all online as a service also makes it more powerful and useful to many users. I have a weak for this type of software, like Foobar (for music) and Calibre for eBooks.

For this particular feature, if you say the original vision/expectation has never matured, and you don't expect it too anytime soon, it might be worth removing it or hiding it more thoroughly so users don't get the feeling they should use it.

Stevef48

Just to be clear:
There is a ladybird that has 16 spot. It also has two binomial names Tytthapsis sedecimpunctata and Micraspis 16-puntata.
The Thesaurus seems to require all of these entries:-
- Ladybird
  - 16-spot Ladybird
    - Synonyms
      Micraspis 16-puntata
      Tytthapsis sedecimpunctata
  - Micraspis 16-puntata
  - Tytthapsis sedecimpunctata

Do I aslo need to include each synonym as synonyms of the others?

I found that if I just put the Keyword and Synonym in the Thesaurus, applying the keyword to an image generated a top-level category for the synonym.
Steve

claudermilk

With that setup, once you assign 16-spot Ladybird the two synonyms should be automatically assigned. Done. If you look in the keywords panel, you should see the synonyms added in color after the main keyword is added. I don't think you should need the following duplicate keyword entries.

Stevef48

Quote from: claudermilk on May 08, 2020, 06:58:44 PM
With that setup, once you assign 16-spot Ladybird the two synonyms should be automatically assigned. Done. If you look in the keywords panel, you should see the synonyms added in color after the main keyword is added. I don't think you should need the following duplicate keyword entries.
As I said, when I tried before the synonyms generated categories directly under @Keywords. Without the duplication IMatch doesn't seem to know where to create the correct category. I've just spent several days correcting 643 keywords that shouldn't have been directly under @Keywords, I don't want to repeat the exercise.
I'd also like to ensure that if I accidentally add one of the binomials to a file, it will show all 3 Thesaurus entries.
Steve

plastikman

Synonyms are created in the same hierarchy tree as their master. If you have animal|dog and you have canine as a synonym for dog it is written as animal|canine.