Catégories to IPTC data

Started by chris41, October 04, 2013, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris41

Hello everyone.

I am a new user Imatch happy, but I have a question that torments my mind.
Eg Imatch5: Can we create a parent category "Location" and child "City" to automatically instruct the corresponding IPTC?
I know that the reverse works perfectly with the Data-driven - should be in a reverse function 8)

Mario

Categories are independent from Metadata stored in your files. Categories don't know a thing about IPTC data.

What is your idea about this? What do you want to achieve?
Do you want to somehow use categories to manage a Location/City relationship?
Why not use the thesaurus instead?
You can use a Metadata Template to copy data from variables (including category variables) into arbitrary metadata tags, including IPTC tags.

Note: You should not work with classic IPTC fields like location and city directly. Alway work with the more modern XMP fields and let IMatch migrate from XMP to classic IPTC on save.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Just to add my own thoughts:
If you just want to "assign" your pictures to a location, view your pictures in a hierarchical structure in IMatch, and be sure that the location info is available to other programs, I would recommend the following:

• Use the standard tags for Country, Location, City to edit the location info.
  • Use data-driven categories, based on those standard tags, to view your pictures in a hierarchical structure.
The standard tags are available in the metadata panel, e.g. in the "Default" and "Location" settings.

The important point is: You do not assign your pictures directly to some location categories, you enter the info in standard metadata tags.
As Mario points out, classical IPTC fields are filled automatically on write-back. (I assume you have MWG compatibility enabled).

And since 118, you have a very nice map panel to assign location info out of a map  ;D 
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

chris41

Thank you for your answers.

The idea is to fill the XMP data with the classification categories, as with keywords. I may be working backwards ... ;D

I'll go a little more software, and try your suggestions.