IMatch as a "portable app" running from USB?

Started by CollieDog, May 24, 2020, 08:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CollieDog

Hi,
is there a way to run Imatch 2020 as a portable app from a USB disk?
Occasionally, I have to use computers on which I lack admin rights and cannot install any software.
Is there a way to install Imatch onto a USB key so it installs only onto the USB, runs from USB, and accesses my photo catalogue from the USB?

Mario

No, sorry.

Several of the runtime components used by IMatch require 'proper' installation, including Microsoft runtime components etc.
A portable version of IMatch was never a topic. Actually, when I' not mistaken, you are the first person ever asking for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

CollieDog

Thank you for your reply.

I'm the first one to ask? How odd.
Portableapps have widespread use. Colleagues and I relied on them for years during fieldwork, especially when I was restricted to using guesthouse and hotel computer systems.

I'm inquiring because I want to demonstrate IMatch to my supervisor in a government department.
Owing to federal government security measures, employees do not have admin rights on our computers and we cannot install any software. But I can run portable apps that are not installed to the system.

Practically speaking, its very difficult (near impossible) to demonstrate a trial version of IMatch.
Software must first get through security clearance checks and several other procedures in a process that takes months.

If a portable version existed, I could demo it, convince managers of the benefits, and begin the paperwork processes for security and purchase.

I'll try another approach. This could translate into many new customers.

Mario

As I said, you are the first user ever asking for this (I may have forgotten, though).

But, IMatch and IMatch Anywhere are used by many police, military, governmental and institutional clients. Usually, the IT department does the vetting and installation clearance and SRP and stuff for IMatch. The end user just uses it.

If you work in such a high-security environment, maybe just run/demo IMatch it in a Windows container or VM. Even more secure than using a portable app.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Coolrat on May 24, 2020, 08:26:22 PM... But I can run portable apps that are not installed to the system. ...

Now that's a strange approach to security (i.e. no security!) I'm not working for the governemt, but noone (no normal user) can run anything from a USB drive in my company.
That would be a huge scurity hole.