Ignore Faces vs delete unwanted face annotations?

Started by kiwilink, June 18, 2020, 10:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I am doing face recognition of 12,000 images at a time (I have about 130,00 images).  Many are trips abroad with lots of people I don't know (faces in crowds).  IMATCH sees these faces.  I have been hitting "Ignore" assuming that face will never again pop up or try to be assigned.  However, sometimes I see the face pop up again even though I said ignore.  I did some research and I saw that Mario mentioned in an answer to someone:

"Why don't you just delete the unwanted face annotations instead"

So, should I "Ignore a face" or send these images to the viewer and start deleting the annotations?

Thanks!

kiwilink

Mario

Ignore: Don't consider face for person assignment, but keep face. So you know that there are faces in the image, but IMatch does not assign persons to them.
Delete face annotation: Well, delete face annotation  8)

IMatch applies a certain similarity value to ignored faces (to also ignore similar faces). But it cannot use a too broad similarity value, else it would ignore too many faces.
IMatch has no way to know if you consider a face important, or not.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

grafton84

I ignore faces that I don't know yet, but might want to know (or find out later). I delete faces that are unimportant (eg. people in crowds, etc.).

HTH

Rob...

kiwilink

Thanks Mario and grafton84:

Just to be clear, please take a look at my attachment. I only want to keep (identify) one of these faces.  What would be the best way to tell IMATCH not to pay attention to any of the other faces?  Since I only know one of the faces it would be faster for me if I open the photo in viewer and delete every square except the one I want.  If I go to the "People View" I see all these "unconfirmed faces" in my attachment and hitting "Ignore" takes a lot longer. How would you do this?

Secondly, once I hit "Ignore" or I delete the "square" around the unconfirmed face does that mean that IMATCH will "Never" look at this face again (which is what I want) even if I run "detect faces" again (by accident)?

Thank you!

Kiwilink

ADMIN: Image removed. Please do not post images of identifiable persons in publich forums without explicit written permission of each person. Else this is illegal in Europe and many other countries.

Mario

I'm not sure that I understand the problem.
Just select all faces you don't need (Hold down Shift and click) and then either delete them with <Del> or, if you want to keep the face rectangles, <I> ignore them.
There is not much you can do wrong. If you are not interested in the other faces, I would delete the annotations. This way the important faces stand out better.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

OK Thanks ..... (All the people in the image I attached are dead but I understand).  What about my last question:

Secondly, once I hit "Ignore" or I delete the "square" around the unconfirmed face does that mean that IMATCH will "Never" look at this face again (which is what I want) even if I run "detect faces" again (by accident)?

Thanks!

Kiwilink

PaulS

Quote from: kiwilink on June 19, 2020, 06:31:42 PM
Just to be clear, please take a look at my attachment. I only want to keep (identify) one of these faces.  What would be the best way to tell IMATCH not to pay attention to any of the other faces?  Since I only know one of the faces it would be faster for me if I open the photo in viewer and delete every square except the one I want.  If I go to the "People View" I see all these "unconfirmed faces" in my attachment and hitting "Ignore" takes a lot longer. How would you do this?

If there are many faces but a small number to keep, here is the fastest method from my perspective:
-  open the photo in the viewer
-  use <Ctrl>+A to select all face annotations
-  hold down the <Shift> key and use the mouse to unselect the face(s) to keep
-  hit the <Delete> key

Quote from: kiwilink on June 19, 2020, 06:31:42 PM

If you run "detect faces" by accident, IMatch will detect them again.  So avoid doing this.

Mario

Quote from: kiwilink on June 19, 2020, 07:20:30 PM

When you run a face detection again, IMatch will again detect the faces. It does not remember that it at one time detected the faces, and you then deleted the faces.
In almost all cases, you run face detection once per image. There is little reason to run it again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Thank you Mario and thank you PaulS for the tip!!!

Mario

Quote from: kiwilink on June 19, 2020, 08:02:36 PM
Thank you Mario and thank you PaulS for the tip!!!

Sure thing. Remember: Where there is IMatch, there is a way...
Spread the word. Let others know about IMatch
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator