MacOS?

Started by Bastel, June 20, 2020, 10:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bastel

I read about IMatch in latest c't magazine and this software concept deeply impresses me. However, I understand that IMatch is available for Windows only. As I'm using MacOS I'm wondering whether there exist plans to establish a MacOS version also?
Or is there alternative software already available for MacOS?

Sebastian

Mario

I do not develop software for Apple computers. I do all this alone and I don't have resources for a Mac version.

Besides, developing for Apple systems is expensive, complex and you are totally under the control of Apple. They can throw you out of the app store any time, without giving any reason. And they want 30% (!) of the product price.

I know that some IMatch users run IMatch on the Mac using solutions like Parallels or Bootcamp. Or they run Windows on the Mac in a VirtualBox or similar, which can work great.
Since I don't use Apple computers, I cannot advice.

QuoteOr is there alternative software already available for MacOS?

There is not really an alternative for IMatch anywhere  :D but many of the professional or Enterprise-grade DAM systems (Canto, FotoWare, Extensis, AssetBank, Bynder, ...) have Mac clients.
I think DAMinion also has a Mac client, and PhotoSupreme too. These are in the same price range as IMatch.
Note that all these systems have their pro and cons and you need to try out a few to see what works for you and what does not.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Hi - in the past, I have successfully used IMatch on my MAC using Parallels... the process involved a bit of setup but once running - it was actually quite easy to use.  I cannot find my original post that described the setup (but if would have been back in 2014 or so)... I know things have gotten much better since then in terms of Parallels and the interaction between the virtual machine and MacOS..  I remember Coherence mode being the most important factor to ensure IMatch opens as a "native" app on the MAC even though it is running in Parallels under Win10.  Hope this helps...  Enjoy!

plastikman

QuoteOr is there alternative software already available for MacOS?
I think DAMinion also has a Mac client, and PhotoSupreme too. These are in the same price range as IMatch.
Note that all these systems have their pro and cons and you need to try out a few to see what works for you and what does not.
[/quote]

PhotoSupreme is your best option. Many DxO users on their forum vouch for it all the time, but most who are on Windows prefer IMatch over PhotoSupreme. PhotoSupreme also recommends to use either Mac or Windows version, not mix both working on the same data.

I love Mac/Linux but I think Windows offers the best bang for the buck in terms of functionality and performance, especially when you need a lot of CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage which tends to be extremely expensive on an Apple configured system. But their entry models tend to work well enough for most users, just not power users which I consider myself to be one.

Jingo

If you buy into the Apple ecosystem (iPad, iPhone and Mac) - then they all seem to work well together.  Throw in some Apple TV, a watch or 2 and you have a nice closed loop system.  Personally, I cannot deal with their "my way or the highway" closed loop system and only use my Mac for very specific client photo album work.  I was a Beta tester and used Photo Supreme in the distant past... a decent option for sure but quite a different product than IMatch.  I also was an Alpha/Beta tester for Daminion... again - a really different approach to image management and it has grown quite a bit since my days of the ole.. Damroundup.com!

In any event... good luck with your search.. if I can assist with the Parallels setup and IMatch - please let me know.  It has been many years - but I"m sure I have some notes someplace!

medgeek

Quote from: Jingo on June 22, 2020, 01:23:29 AM
I was a Beta tester and used Photo Supreme in the distant past... a decent option for sure but quite a different product than IMatch.  I also was an Alpha/Beta tester for Daminion... again - a really different approach to image management and it has grown quite a bit since my days of the ole.. Damroundup.com!
Hi Andy,

No wonder your posts make so much sense! I remember you from the IDimager/Photo Supreme from and the great info you had on the damroundup.com site.

--George

sinus

Quote from: medgeek on June 23, 2020, 12:35:48 AM
I was a Beta tester and used Photo Supreme in the distant past... a decent option for sure but quite a different product than IMatch.  I also was an Alpha/Beta tester for Daminion... again - a really different approach to image management and it has grown quite a bit since my days of the ole.. Damroundup.com!
Hi Andy,

No wonder your posts make so much sense! I remember you from the IDimager/Photo Supreme from and the great info you had on the damroundup.com site.

--George

Then it is great to have Andy here on the IMatch-Forum!  :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: medgeek on June 23, 2020, 12:35:48 AM
Hi Andy,

--George

Thx George... I know of a few Idimager users that made the switch over to IMatch... even though I don't use the Idimager any longer - I still follow the development.  I try to donate here and there to independent developers that keep churning out good products... XYPlorer, IMatch, Idimager... the list goes on and on.

Damroundup.com was a hobby/passion site of mine and I do believe it could have become a top review / learning site.. but I just couldn't keep up with the product changes.  Each product would take me a month to test, screenshot and ultimately write each review.  That was enjoyable and fun.. answering questions from users was great and I loved the interaction and other users excitement for these products as well.  What did me in was the frequent updates, enhancements and bug fixes that came along for the 20+ products I was monitoring and had reviewed.. I just couldn't keep up!  I was hoping to get some other folks on board to help.. but ultimately, I only had one taker and we still couldn't keep things running.  Then, my own book design business tripled in workload practically overnight (yay!) and something had to give... unfortunately - it was Damroundup!

Thx for bringing back some memories to me... :) - Andy.

Quote from: sinus on June 23, 2020, 06:49:24 AM

Then it is great to have Andy here on the IMatch-Forum!  :)

Thx Markus... great to be here!!

Bastel

Thank you for all your valuable replies. I will check out your recommendations and have a look which software will meet my requirements.

medgeek

Quote from: Jingo on June 24, 2020, 02:17:58 PM
...even though I don't use the Idimager any longer - I still follow the development.  I try to donate here and there to independent developers that keep churning out good products...
I feel the same way. Even though I'm using IMatch now, I still purchased the current version of Photo Supreme. Independent developers like Mario and Hert do deserve support for their hard work and good products.

Jingo

Quote from: medgeek on June 24, 2020, 11:36:45 PM
Quote from: Jingo on June 24, 2020, 02:17:58 PM
...even though I don't use the Idimager any longer - I still follow the development.  I try to donate here and there to independent developers that keep churning out good products...
I feel the same way. Even though I'm using IMatch now, I still purchased the current version of Photo Supreme. Independent developers like Mario and Hert do deserve support for their hard work and good products.

Very nice to hear!  If you are ever interested in watching some good single developer "vlogs", check out one by ThinMatrix on Youtube... you can follow his journey as he developed the game Equllinox from scratch including 3D polygon modeling and his approach to coding all the while battling health issues.  It is a fun game which he sells (and I purchased) for only $10.  He is now working on a city builder app with a similar look/feel.