Organize Thesaurus

Started by grafton84, June 23, 2020, 03:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grafton84

Perhaps this is a feature request or perhaps I just can't figure out how to do it. I imported a very large keyword list from Lightroom into the Thesaurus Manager and now I would like to organize it. For example, I have hundreds of names in the 'People' section and it would be helpful to group them in sets (like A-D, E-H, etc.) I tried drag-drop and various keyboard combinations trying to move elements into sections to no avail. Most outlining programs have something like CTRL-R (or CTRL-Right Arrow) to manipulate outline elements and levels. This would be most useful here. Any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

The screenshot shows the beginning of the people list with a group header, A-D. I would like to easily move the names below into that group somehow.

Rob...

Mario

The features available in the universal thesaurus are explained in the corresponding help topic: The Universal Thesaurus

If the list of words you have imported from your other application is not in the shape you want, you maybe can bring it into the correct shape before importing it?
In a text editor, perhaps? It's just plain text, and any text editor allows you to move/copy/paste strings of text easily.

Also be clear that, unless you make explicit group levels or ignore levels, the way you layout your keywords in the thesaurus also impacts the actual keywords you place in your files!
Usually it is not useful to have keywords like A-D|beach in a file... It may also pollute the thesaurus panel in the Keywords panel, make searching for keywords harder etc.

Also note that the @Keywords Category automatically organizes your files by their keywords, and you can make it automatically group files by the first n letters of the keywords (like A,B,C or AA,AB,AC, ...) in the Category View and Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Just to offer a little more food for thought on this subject.

For entering keywords (or assigning regular categories) I prefer to use the category panel instead of the thesaurus.  Categories, including @Keywords categories, are pretty easy to set up and maintain.  You can drag and drop or copy and paste individual entries or blocks of items to put them where you want them.

In the attached screenshot you can see I have customized my category panel to make assigning @Keywords easy.  I have sections set up for People (Family), People (Friends), and others.

I personally prefer to use the thesaurus for filling in other metadata fields, such as location metadata, (country, state, city, and so on).

grafton84

Thanks for the suggestions. I did much the same thing with the Category panel. However, I find typing in the Keywords panel to be much faster, but unless the keyword isn't in the Thesaurus, it doesn't come up as a suggestion.

Rob...

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: grafton84 on June 23, 2020, 04:23:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did much the same thing with the Category panel. However, I find typing in the Keywords panel to be much faster, but unless the keyword isn't in the Thesaurus, it doesn't come up as a suggestion.

Rob...

You can set the Keyword Panel to add new keywords to the thesaurus. This way you type new keywords only once. Then they become part of the automatic suggestions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

grafton84