Reinstalling IMatch database in replacement hard drive

Started by petej, June 27, 2020, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petej

The hard drive in my computer failed.  I installed a new hard drive with a clean Win 10 install.  I have reinstalled the IMatch software.  I now want to add the database using a Pack and Go package.  I've read the Pack and Go article in Help, but I could use some clarification on the Pack and Go "Restore" options before I proceed and mess up.

When creating a new database, you recommend storing it in a new folder in the root folder of the hard disk, e.g., C:\imdb.  In this case I'm restoring a database from the Pack and Go package.  If I use the "Restore to original folders" option, where will the files and database be stored? Or should I use the "Restore to a different folder" option?

Thanks!

Mario

Restore to the original folders does what it says.
If your new hard disk is structured the same as before, you can to that.

Don't you have a real backup of your disk to restore from? Is Pack & Go really something you have to rely on?
Pack & Go is no backup tool, it is a software to move IMatch between computers.

Regarding you new disk: See this article: Off-line Folders and Files
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

petej

You say "Pack & Go is no backup tool".  May I respectfully remind you of the IMatch Help description of Pack & Go as having "two main purposes".  One of them is, and I quote, "Backup for IMatch Databases and Settings / In this function Pack & Go is used to backup all important IMatch files and one or more databases into convenient package files. These files can be archived and backed up with your other data."

So I have a new hard drive with a clean install of Win 10 and with IMatch now installed.  Could you please tell me how to get my backed-up data base file, saved in Pack & Go, onto my new hard drive so that IMatch can find it and display it?

And yes, I do not have a "real backup" of my disk to restore from.  I only have my data backed up.  My bad.  But does that mean I can't reinstall the database from Pack & Go?

My photos have always been on an external drive, so I'm assuming that IMatch should have no problem finding them once I install the data base.

Mario

I said you can use restore to original location if the structure of your hard disk, user name etc. is the same as before.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

petej

Mario, I don't know if you will read this, but just to let you know that Pack & Go worked well and I had no problems getting my database up and running on my repaired computer.  I had been overly concerned about how and where Pack & Go puts the files and if my new Win 10 install was set up properly to receive the files.  All's well now and I can get back to using IMatch!

Mario

This is how it is supposed to work. Assuming that user name, folder locations etc. are the same as before.
Often users not only re-install Windows, but use different user names. Or put their images into other locations. And then an automatic restore using Pack & Go cannot work and the manual process must be used.

Pack & Go is designed to transfer databases and settings between computers. For the users who work with multiple PCs, e.g. a work station in the studio and a notebook on-location.
I have upgraded Pack & Go to a simple backup tool only after learning that so many users don't have any other backups. And then Pack and Go is better than nothing.

If you have proper backups, replacing as disk, even the boot disk, is easy.
For example, the backup software I use does "disk imaging" and creates it's own bootable USB stick.
If the system disk with Windows dies (has happened to me a few times, sigh!), this is what I do:

1. I replace the damaged disk
2. I boot from the USB stick with the backup software on it
3. I restore the backup of the old C: disk on the new disk

And everything is as before. All files, settings, applications, ...  :)

I use Pack & Go to transfer IMatch databases and settings between my computers and virtual test systems, though. Best tool for that particular job.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

petej

Thank you for these additional comments, Mario.  I will have to learn to do a complete system backup, not just data and other selected files!   :-\

Mario

Quote from: petej on July 10, 2020, 09:49:08 PM
Thank you for these additional comments, Mario.  I will have to learn to do a complete system backup, not just data and other selected files!   :-\
Very good idea!
A partial backup is better than nothing. But modern 'imaging' backup software like Macrium Reflect or TrueImage make backups to easy - and automatic.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator