IM2020.7.4 / Rotating an DNG with "Orientation (Exif)" doesn't work

Started by AnaDia, August 10, 2020, 11:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnaDia

I changed my computer a few weeks ago and did a fresh installation of all software. So, I maybe missed a setting in IMatch or so and therefore I don't write this post as a bug report, but...

When I try to rotate DNG Images from a Pentax Q10 camera with "Oreintation (Exif)", I get a message, that this is only possible with JPGs. I'm pretty sure, that this worked very well on my old computer. And when I use ExifToolGUI to set the orientation tag, the images are shown/updated correct in IMatch after a rescan.

Side note: The Pentax Q camera doesn't have a sensor for the orientation, so the tag is always set to "Normal".

Has anyone the missing hint for me?

Mario

This function has been restricted to JPEG files because there were some reports about damage done to TIFF files.
Hence I only allow JPEG files until further investigation.

Maybe just rotate your DNG files in the production application correctly?
Or apply a virtual transformation in IMatch?

If this really important, you can rotate change the EXIF orientation for the DNG file (and probably also for the embedded JPEG in the DNG and for the embedded thumbnail in the DNG, which may all use the same orientation, or not) using ExifTool on the command line.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

AnaDia

Ok, I understand.
The DNGs are written from the camera. So, there is no editing software before IMatch.
I will go with the ExifTool command processor. After using the correct tag (-orientation#={n} instead of -orientation={n}) it works like expected. So I'm fine with that solution :-)

Thanks for your clarification!

Mario

Very good.

Since I have no further analytic results about the reason for the corrupted TIFF files (DNG also use the TIFF heap file structure) and this function is rarely used, and typically only for JPEG files, the best action was to disable it for all formats except JPG.

If you manually change EXIF data and your DNG file also contains XMP metadata, the orientation in the XMP EXIF and the native EXIF will no differ. Just keep that in mind in case you run into issues later.

Why does your camera write the wrong EXIF orientation? Which camera? Does this happen often?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

AnaDia

Thanks for your hint about XMP, but I think that won't  be any problem for me.

About your question  ;):
QuoteSide note: The Pentax Q camera doesn't have a sensor for the orientation, so the tag is always set to "Normal".

Pentax has/had a "Q" line beside their DSLR lines.