Time To Update Files

Started by Darius1968, August 21, 2020, 10:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

If I, for instance, have about 400 MP3 files in a folder, and I update a simple piece of metadata (like the "Title" tag), for all of these files, how long should it take for all of these files to be updated, given an SSD drive?  I was motivated to ask this, after I suddenly found that if I did a simple rename of one of these files, in IMatch, it would take about 5 sec., whereas it used to happen instantly. 

Mario

Renaming a file does update the IMatch database, some metadata tags (in the database) and the file in the file system.
On my system this takes 0.1 seconds to rename a standard MP3 file (via F2 in the File Window).

IMatch stores metadata for MP3 files in XMP sidecar files. These are also very fast to write.
For 30 MP3 files, IMatch takes about 4 seconds in total, writing files in parallel at about 0.25 seconds per file and including the re-load of the metadata produced into the database afterwards, UI refresh etc.

Switch IMatch to debug logging (see log file) because this shows us exactly which operations IMatch performs and how long they take.
If IMatch suddenly performs badly, the most likely cause is your anti-virus interfering. In that case we should see error messages and warnings in the log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook