IMatch Freezes (Collections II)

Started by Darius1968, September 21, 2020, 11:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

The log file I'm attaching is about IMatch freezing, when I switch to the Collections Tab.  This has happened, and I've posted about it before, but this time, I think there's more information that I think is repeatable: 
Specifically, under Collections -> Today, there was a zip file.  I switched to the folder in which it resided, to delete it.  When I switched back to Collections -> Today, IMatch froze (causing my PC fan to act up).  I switched back to Media & Folders View, which paused the freeze, but the freeze manifested again, upon switching back to Collections View.  I could still be in Collections View, and stop the freeze, simply by clicking on one of the files, in the File Window, but the performance became erratic.  The only way to once again, regain stability is to close out and reopen the database, but I'm trying to find out why this happens for the case I've outlined here. 

Mario

Sounds like a Windows shell function freezes when IMatch tries to query file system data for one or more files in this collection.

ShellExtractThumbEx failed with IDispatch error #45056

while trying to query information for a file with the .df extension.

Also, IMatch reports it could not create cache images for several of your MP4 files. It seems they are not supported by FFMPeg (which is unusual) and IMatch has to fall back to using built-in Windows functions, which also fail to produce a usable thumbnail. All this costs a lot of time and, for the Windows shell functions, may even cause IMatch to wait fro a long time.

Search your log file for W> to find the file names producing the problems, then maybe re-encode the MP4 files.
Also check your system for unusual or even broken "shell extensions" (right-click a .df or .mp4 file to see which plug-ins have installed themselves into the "open with" menu.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

There were 60some of those .df-extension-files in my database, which I have removed, because they really were just 'filler'.  However, since then, I'm still having the exact same problem, and I'm attaching another log file.  This report has only one W>-entry: 
"09.23 03:28:41+    0 [24B8] 01  W>     Spelling: Cannot find a dictionary for language 'English (United States)' or failed to load.  'V:\develop\IMatch5\src\IMatchNG\IMatch.cpp(3776)'"

There's only one problem .mp4 file, but this isn't in any of the collections.

This log file is narrowed down to just the operations - after closing out both, the database and IMatch, and then reopening both again - of deleting a file in Media & Folders View, which was in Collections -> Yesterday, and then switching back to the Collections View, wherein the problem manifested again. 

Mario

I see no problems.
All collections are calculated correctly and in less than 0.2s each.

What do you mean by freeze, exactly?
No collection freezes and IMatch records no excessively slow operations.
This log looks perfectly normal.

If IMatch freezes because the File Window is blocked inside a Windows function calls when retrieving file system information or icons, the problem is usually a virus checker or 3rd party shell add-on for Windows / Windows Explorer. I recall one occasion where this was caused by a HP scanner driver, which linked itself into the Windows shell and then crashed when certain files where queried...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook