This file is off-line

Started by danders@suddenlink.net, October 14, 2020, 07:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danders@suddenlink.net

Installed 2020. All files are marked off-line. I have tried all info that I can find and no luck. The files are on my PC hard drive. Can I delete database and create new with out loosing keywords? Or, is there a better way.
Thanks
Dwayne

Mario

IMatch does mark files as off-line (yellow off-line icon) when it cannot find or access them on your hard disk.
This usually only happens when you move the files to another disk/folder outside of IMatch. Or when the "disk id" of the media containing the files changes (e.g. after replacing a hard disk).

I don't see how this can happen after just installing IMatch...because if IMatch could access the files for indexing, how can they now be missing?

Please show us a screen shot of what you are seeing and also include a ZIPpped copy of the IMatch log file (see log file).
This should allow us to assist you better.

See also Off-line Folders and Files in the IMatch help system for causes of disks/media/folders becoming off-line, how IMatch indicates that, and how to use the relocate command to fix this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

danders@suddenlink.net

Files attached. Log and Screenshot.
History: Left previous version on computer  and installed. Saw off line icons and deleted previous version and new version  2020 and re installed 2020.
Updated face annotations but did not have any. (never created)
Thank you for your help,
Dwayne

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

danders@suddenlink.net

Mario

IMatch cannot find these files on your disk or access the folder.
Please relocate the disk containing these files (or the folder, if only certain folders are affected).
Right-click the disk and select "Relocate". Even if the files are still on disk F:, maybe the media serial number or media label was changed by some external software.

See: Off-line Folders and Files for more information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

danders@suddenlink.net

Relocate got it done. Thanks for the info. I clone that drive to a larger one every few years. I do not relocate it or change drive letters and didn't suspect that it couldn't be seen for that reason. If I delete the database and create a new one is there anything that can be lost.
Thanks for the help.
Dwayne

Mario

1. Cloning a disk, replacing a disk etc. will change the unique id IMatch uses to identify disks. Relocate is the command to inform IMatch of a changed disk id or you moving the files outside of IMatch.
2. There is no need to create a new database. Why do you want to do that? I have IMatch databases 15 years old, working great. Moved them to new computers and disks, no problem at all. Many IMatch users did the same. Your database is precious. Keep it.

3. Data that only exists in the IMatch database (category assignments, attributes, unwritten metadata etc.) will be lost when you delete a database and create a new one. Again, see 2. above.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator