Imatch and Windows update to version 2004

Started by GOC53, October 26, 2020, 04:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOC53

I updated Windows 10 to version 2004. All was well till I tried to see photos in the Viewer - instant shutdown of IMatch.

I had experienced this before so tried updating my Nvidia drivers. This did not work.

I wound back to Windows 1909 and Nvidia driver 442.92 and (so far) all is well.

My graphics card is GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

I hope this helps someone.

Mario

Thanks for sharing.

Probably the Windows update installed an older (?) version of the NVIDIA driver...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: GOC53 on October 26, 2020, 04:38:53 PM
I updated Windows 10 to version 2004. All was well till I tried to see photos in the Viewer - instant shutdown of IMatch.

I had experienced this before so tried updating my Nvidia drivers. This did not work.

I wound back to Windows 1909 and Nvidia driver 442.92 and (so far) all is well.

My graphics card is GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

I hope this helps someone.

Did Windows Update offer the upgrade to you or did you manually upgrade? Many PCs (like my Laptop) did not yet get version 2004 offered because of incompatibilities with nVidia. Maybe that's your problem?

twe

I also have Imatch randomly crashing because of the combination of old Nvidia graphics card and Windows 10 version 2004.
I have tried to rollback to earlier versions of Nvidia driver, and also tried the latest version released 2020.10.29, but Imatch is still crashing (Imatch has encountered an error and neds to close).

My Graphics card is Nvidia GTX 970 (working fine for everything except for Imatch (Lightroom, Photoshop etc, and for gaming)
The question is what to do about Imatch crashing almost every day I use it:

- Hope for a fix in the Windows 10 version 2009 (just released, but not available yet for my PC). I do not consider re-installing PC to Win 10 version 1909 as an option.
- Keep trying each new release of Nvida driver
- Hope for fix in a future Imatch update (3rd party library update?)  - (Like the ongoing problem with displaying tooltips in Panels caused by the 3rd party user interface toolkit)
- Get a new graphis card.

Mario

Quote from: twe on November 01, 2020, 10:38:26 AM
- Hope for fix in a future Imatch update (3rd party library update?)  - (Like the ongoing problem with displaying tooltips in Panels caused by the 3rd party user interface toolkit)

No fix possible from my side, unfortunately.
IMatch uses the DirectX (Windows graphics and animation library) interface to render images in the Viewer, the Quick View panel and the Slide Show.
DirectX uses the NVIDIA driver to to the actual work. The NVIDIA driver relies on a number of DLLs provided by NVIDIA, and the crash reported by some users is always in the same NVIDA DLL. IMatch cannot prevent that. Compared to a game or Photoshop, IMatch uses only a minimum of DirectX features.

I use two computers with NVIDA graphic cards (G960 and a modern model), and I have never experienced any crashes. So this may very well be some isolated issue which only happens with certain combinations of graphic cards, firmware versions, DirectX versions and whatever...

Maybe check for background services which may use the graphic card (Adobe does that), close other running applications etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stzari

I have no problems with IMatch (or anything else) running Windows 10 2004 and an Nvidia GTX970 (currently with drivers 432.00).

As you can see, I'm quite conservative with drivers. If there is no necessary support added for something I need, I usually don't update. The older the hardware, the greater the risk for some regression, that breaks something.
Second, I never overclock. While this might work today or tomorrow, it is not said that it will continue to work the day after or in winter or during full moon .. ;)
Also I've found (and this might be Voodoo), that having enough RAM, so that the graphics RAM could fit into the free main RAM also seems to increase stability.

twe

Quote from: stzari on November 01, 2020, 01:00:38 PM
I have no problems with IMatch (or anything else) running Windows 10 2004 and an Nvidia GTX970 (currently with drivers 432.00).

Thanks! That is good news. I do not find the 432 version online, but downloaded version 440.978 (october 2019) from Nvidia and will test it now.

Tilt

I'm also running a GTX970 under Windows 10 2004.
I'm using the NVidia driver version 457.09 (see attached).
I crash all the time in viewer mode.
The error gets thrown multiple times.  If I open 3 pictures in viewer mode- I get 3 error dialogs.
Just passing it on.
Regards~

thrinn

I use a GTX 1050 with driver version 442.19 on Windows 10 Version 2004.
Runs stable, no crashes.

I am no gamer, so I see no reason to use a newer version of the driver, as long as I get no problems with it.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

sinus

Quote from: stzari on November 01, 2020, 01:00:38 PM

As you can see, I'm quite conservative with drivers. If there is no necessary support added for something I need, I usually don't update. The older the hardware, the greater the risk for some regression, that breaks something.
Second, I never overclock. While this might work today or tomorrow, it is not said that it will continue to work the day after or in winter or during full moon .. ;)
Also I've found (and this might be Voodoo), that having enough RAM, so that the graphics RAM could fit into the free main RAM also seems to increase stability.

It seems that I am even more conservative.  ;D
As you can see, I use still an older version (390.77) with my Win 10.

I have never had a problem with IMatch or the viewer of IMatch, and to be honest, I have never had any reason to update the driver.
Hmm, but I should probably do it occasionally.  ::)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

It seems, from what I read on the net and here, that recent NVIDIA drivers have quality issues.
They are bringing out new cards frequently and the gaming industry is rushing out new games for the XMas business - which often requires changes in graphic card drivers to support the games optimally.

Games may need the latest "game-ready" NVIDIA drivers. But normal folks can stick to an older, stable driver that 'just works'.
Unless they run into a problem that was solved in a newer driver version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

scosmi51

I was having the same problem and rolled the NVIDIA driver back to version 442.92 to solve the problem at GOC53's and Mario's suggestion.  All seems fine now.

I'm running Window 10 Pro, version 20H2, and OS build 19042.572, so at least for my system, I don't have to roll back Windows.  My card is an RTX 2070 Super.

Mario

I have a 2070 Super too and I run driver version 451.22 (stable branch, not gaming ready).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator