Description fields listed under 'Image Comment' category

Started by loweskid, October 31, 2020, 01:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loweskid

I'm not sure if this a bug or there is something wrong.  Under the data driven category 'Image Comment' I expect to find just the copyright notice that I have set up in the camera, however it seems to be listing eveything in the 'Description' field as well - thousands of them!

As seen on the attached screen shot the tag used is - XMP::exif\UserComment\UserComment\0

Should it be listing the Description fields as well?

Mario

When I recall correctly, this field is linked to the XMP description field (imported into the XMP description, mapped back on write-back), as per MWG rules.
There are also mappings between legacy IPTC description and XMP description, so if legacy IPTC data exists and it has a description, it overrides the one in the EXIF user comment.
See the XMP standard specification and the rules and recommendations of the Metadata Working Group for more information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Thanks for your usual ultra-quick reply.. :)

I came across this when using the search bar in the categories panel and found it was searching through all the descriptions as well, which was slowing things down.  The only thing I have ever put in the 'Image Comment' field is the copyright notice so I suppose the obvious answer is to just delete the data-driven category. 

Thanks again.

Mario

IMatch usually searches 50,000 files in less than one second (if the search engine is current, else the first search in the scope takes a few seconds more).

Sorry, my bad. I thought you mean the File Window Search Bar.
The search in tree controls may be slower. Searching the tree may require to recalculate dynamic categories (data-driven, @Keywords) and hence if one or even all categories are pending, this may take a bit.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on October 31, 2020, 04:38:48 PM
The search in tree controls may be slower. Searching the tree may require to recalculate dynamic categories (data-driven, @Keywords) and hence if one or even all categories are pending, this may take a bit.

Ah.. I expect that was the problem - I hadn't refreshed the data-driven categories for quite a while.  I have done so now but I've also deleted the 'Image Comment' category as I don't really need it.