File window, file layout issue, where am I going wrong?

Started by Aubrey, November 03, 2020, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I've just noticed an issue with my layout in the file window.
On footer 1 left, I used to have shutter speed and aperture displayed. For some reason it's not now being displayed. No changes made recently.
Focal length, exposure compensation and metering mode are ok.

I've spent time looking and making changes to a duplicate, the syntax appears to be correct.

I've attached my imwfl file (zipped).

Any ideas?

Aubrey.

thrinn

Exiftool changed the tag names recently (which was also documented in the release notes). If you do not use the IMatch Shortcode, you have to adap the tag names.
A very similar problem was described and solved here.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Please read the release notes for the IMatch version you are using:

https://www.photools.com/release-notes/?productId=424

This was documented in the release notes right at the top in a big red box.
There is also a dedicated help page (https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#upgrade_info_202092.htm) which explains how users who have directly used Composite variables somewhere need to change their variables.

When you install a new version of IMatch, IMatch will ask you to kindly read the release notes. If you don't do this, you may miss important things, maybe even lose data or time.
It's up to you. All I can do is to document each and every change, bug fix, addition and new feature. And then hope that users read it.

I know that nobody has time these days. But some things like reading the release notes may take 5 minutes now and save you hours or days later. I highly recommend it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Thanks all.
I thought that I had read the notes at the time (I always read, and also read what's being modified on next release before it comes out - looking forward to trying the new duplicate option in 11.2).
Looks like I didn't read this composite change.  :-[

Aubrey.

Mario

I recommend not using Composite tags (or other tags) when there is a corresponding Metadata Tag ShortCodes
Shortcodes are not only much easier to use, they also hide the actual tag name. If you would have used a short code, your layout would have worked as before.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I'm applying the shortcuts in the documentation to my parameters.
Interestingly, I've already done this with some of my parameters ISO, focal length,exposure compensation  ;)

It appears that I modified these parameters after the  release of 08.4 (at least that's what I've written in the comments (description) in my layout editor).

I suppose there were further changes with exif when 09.2 was released; I had clearly forgotten about the changes I had already made. Unfortunately I have to say age is slowly creeping up on me!  :-\ I should have modified everything to shortcodes at that time.

Again, shows the usefulness of the forum... Thrinn replying so rapidly is appreciated, it jogged my memory.
Aubrey.

Mario

Unfortunately, if you do more complex things (like using custom templates for File Windows, which not many users do), you may run into more complex issues later.
And it's hard to remember custom changes and tricks you did a year ago (independent fro age) ;)

I can only simplify this so much. A whole bunch of File Window Attributes you can just select from (no variables needed).
Shortcodes to decouple frequently used variables from their actual (and potentially changing) tag name.

IMatch 2020.11 introduces a new tab in the Tag Selector, where you can directly select shortcodes. I've added this after a similar thread here in the community, where a user used a Composite tab variable and was bitten by the change (also missed the BIG red box in the release notes, somehow).

I thought, when I add the short codes directly in the Tag Selector (when used for a variables), people may use short codes more often. We'll see.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on November 03, 2020, 04:35:49 PM
And it's hard to remember custom changes and tricks you did a year ago (independent of age) ;)
Agreed! Especially data driven categories.

I can only simplify this so much. A whole bunch of File Window Attributes you can just select from (no variables needed).
Shortcodes to decouple frequently used variables from their actual (and potentially changing) tag name.
The beauty of IMatch is all the customization that can be done. The standard setup is more than adequate, but it's nice to be able to tweak as one's needs grow.

I don't think a lot of time should be spent "simplifying", as I said standard setup is more than adequate. BTW I've just realized I've been using the "new codes" not short codes. ({File.MD.Exif::Main\41989\FocalLengthIn35mmFormat\0} - in the process of remedying this.

IMatch 2020.11 introduces a new tab in the Tag Selector, where you can directly select shortcodes. I've added this after a similar thread here in the community, where a user used a Composite tab variable and was bitten by the change (also missed the BIG red box in the release notes, somehow).

I thought, when I add the short codes directly in the Tag Selector (when used for a variables), people may use short codes more often. We'll see.

Maybe I'll wait to upgrade to short codes!

Thanks again,
Aubrey.

JohnZeman

Quote from: Aubrey on November 04, 2020, 07:07:07 AM
And it's hard to remember custom changes and tricks you did a year ago (independent of age) ;)
Agreed! Especially data driven categories.

I also agree and it's why I use the free and very impressive CherryTree (https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/) hierarchical note taking application to store copies of all of my category formulas and data driven category configuration along with other notes about IMatch and other software.

Mario

Ouch, that hurts  :D
The nifty IMatch Notepad app does such a good job at keeping my notes, formulas, variables and stuffs. And its integrated in IMatch and always available...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JohnZeman

Oh I always use that too Mario!  :)
But the IMatch notepad can only hold so many notes so I mainly use it to store quick reminders for myself such as keyboard shortcuts and so on.

My CherryTree database has well over 1000 technical notes in it, and they're stored in a tree like Hierarchal structure that's sorted alphabetically.