Support for Canon R5 (and probably R6)

Started by aep, November 08, 2020, 10:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aep

I see iMatch supports .cr3 files for the Canon R and RP, but apparently not the newer R5 (and probably R6, but I cannot test that). I reviewed the previous posts on .cr3 support, I understand the difficulties. I too wish Canon would give better support to developers and users as far as handling their proprietary files, but we have what we have. Great cameras, which is why I buy them. Any idea when these cameras will be supported? I do have it set to find associated files in subdirectories, which will allow them to show thumbnails, but I don't have those for all my images (I tend not to save them).

I can of course supply a sample file if you need it.

Thank you!

Mario

Please describe what problem you're having.
Images not added to your database? No thumbnails? No previews in the Viewer or Quick View Panel?

IMatch handles RAW files in two ways:

1. The official Window WIC feature. This is the proper way to deal with RAW formats in Windows
2. The official Open Source LibRaw project, as a fall-back

If neither supports your particular RAW format, you'll just have to wait until Microsoft and/or the LibRaw project catch up with whatever new proprietary format Canon cooked up this time.
This may take a couple of weeks or months. Or it may happen never, if there is not enough demand to support yet another Canon RAW format.

Canon has produced probably 50+ different RAW formats using the .CR2 or .CRW or .CR3 or .TIF extension in the past decade.
They should provide you with a up-to-date WIC codec. But they give a shit.

Remember that YOU are using a proprietary, undomented and vendor-specific RAW format for your images. And you are letting your camera vendor getting away with it.
Adobe has the financial resources and a dedicated team in India to reverse-engineer RAW formats. I don't.

Proprietary RAW formats are a pest and only designed to lock you in. Your camera could as easily produce DNG files. Canon could easily provide a WIC codec.
They are a multi-billion US$ company, after all. Or Canon could at least could provide Microsoft/LibRaw with enough info about the new format so the could add support for yet another incompatible Canon RAW format. WIC would be of course the way to go, this is why it was invented a decade ago, and one billion PC's support it.

As soon as Canon provides a WIC codec, Microsoft and/or LibRaw support your particular RAW format, IMatch will support it.
You may upload a sample file or send me a link so I can keep an eye on this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook