Metadata in "separator" of file window

Started by javiavid, November 15, 2020, 10:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

javiavid

Option to choose what to see in the "separator" of the file window.
For example the information of the city.

In mobile applications it is common for it to come like this to facilitate the review of images in timeline mode.

Mario

This "separator" displays the name of the current folder / category / collection / timeline node, depending on your hierarchy mode and settings for the file window.
If you display folders, where should country come from? A folder may hold files from 50 countries...

Your screen shot shows something that appears to group you files by country?
If you use the data-driven categories in IMatch, for example, the default "Location" category, you get the same.

The Hierarchical Display Mode (Displaying files in sub-folders, child categories etc.)

Make sure you enable the hierarchical display mode for the file window and then you'll see something like this:

Note that this category organizes files on 3 layers: County, City, Location.
If you find this too much, just create a category which uses only a "Country" level and then you see your files grouped by country. Example:

Data-driven Categories

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

javiavid

Using the categories is interesting to see global results, like the case you indicate, see all the photos you have in a country, city ...

It is true that a folder can contain many cities, but you could do something similar to what google photos does, show 2 or 3 cities and ellipses or more.

In another suggestion I was telling you about including a separator for days.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10774.0

I think that the 2 suggestions are on the same line, to be able to see a folder in an orderly way and automatically without having to move the files. Google Photos, Samsung Android Gallery app, iOS Photos are some examples.

I have seen that with the right button you can go to the timeline and it takes you to that same day, but it does not allow you to see every day with the scroll, as it would work in the programs that I comment on.
If you select the month to see the entire trip, you lose the selection of the image.
What if the trip is between 2 months?

I love imatch to classify images, it is very powerful, but I think that some improvements of this type would make it more pleasant when you visualize the images.

Mario

You can select multiple months in the timeline. With Shift+click or Ctrl+click
And if you enable the hierarchy, it File Window group the files by days. Or weeks and days, if you enable the weeks level.

Adding arbitrary grouping (like selecting an event and then making the file window group the files by country or month or week or keyword or label or even multiple things) is doable, but a quite substantial amount of work. This would require many users to +1 your feature request.

I know that Google photos does this, but they cannot handle 100,000 files. Or 500,000 in a scope. IMatch does and has to.

You can work in the Timeline and use the Event Filter to see only files linked to a specific event, grouped by month or day or week.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

I don't want to take away the merit of your program, it's much better than Google Photos and that's why I use it, it's just trying to contribute ideas to make it even better.

Mario

And I welcome suggestions, ideas, feature requests from users. This is what this board is about. Really.
And how IMatch evolves.

But I also need to keep an eye on human resources (one!) and where to best invest my time, for the benefit of the majority of users.
Spending several weeks to develop and tune and test and document a feature which is useful for maybe a handful of users is not wise.
Google earns billions each quarter and has about 120,000 employees. They can afford to throw money and time at almost everything. I don't 

Hence I need to judge and sometimes dampen expectations by adding a comment to as feature request. To explain a bit about the background or give an estimate of work required. So users can make an informed decision.

Features which are of interest for many usually get many +1 and generate discussions in the thread.
And since only a fraction of the IMatch user base participates in this community, every +1 counts several times in my book.
On the other hand, many of the users who participate in this community are heavy/experienced users. And often see things differently than causal users who fire up IMatch once a week or maybe even only once a month. I need to keep that in mind, too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

javiavid

Don't worry Mario, I understand perfectly.
Thank you for your message.