Enable renamer to process buddy files

Started by lbo, August 29, 2019, 08:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbo

Currently, the renamer invoked by Ctrl-F2 refuses to process buddy files.

I suggest to enable the renamer to process buddy files if the user confirms a warning dialog (as with F2).

Rationale:

• In many cases, the rename wouldn't break the buddy relation, for example renaming foobar_4711.raw's version/buddy file from foobar_4711_1.jpg to foobar_4711_2.jpg
  • The user might intend to break the buddy relation, so he needs to rename the files.
  • Unify the behaviour with F2: F2 displays a warning "...are you sure you want to rename the buddy file?", after confirmation, the buddy file is renamed.
  • Buddy relations are needed also for versions because a version relation doesn't propagate renames from master to version. Users shall be able to to rename such version files.
  • The workaround of temporarily disabling the buddy relation is awkward and even more dangerous than confirming a warning on the renamer, because one could forget to restore the relation.

Luxury would be if the renamer detected whether a rename breaks the buddy relation at all and suppresses the warning then, but I don't dare to ask for this because I don't know how much effort it would be.

References: Initial bug report moved to BBD: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9319.0 and the preceding question about a suitable setup to propagate renames from master to version allowing rename of version https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9317.0

Oliver

thrinn

+1

This is quite an old feature request, but I stumbled upon a case where the option to also rename buddy files would have been useful:
I tried to unify the extensions of my files to use only lower case (.jpg, not .JPG). The Renamer already offers a step "Extension to lower-case" to achieve this, but unfortunately the JPG files in question are out-of-camera JPGs from shooting RAW+JPG which are defined as buddy files by my file relation rules. I do not want to disable the relation rule each time I import new files from the camera (which could be a workaround).

Therefore, I would appreciate an option "Allow buddy file renaming". If this could be modelled as an option on Renamer Preset level, it would be possible to flag some specific presets explicitly to allow for buddy renaming without loosing the (generally very useful) check and error message that is displayed at the moment when trying to use the renamer for buddy files.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA