stacking question

Started by timoteo, November 19, 2020, 04:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timoteo

When I stack multiple images via Shift-S if I change my mind and want to undo it, I can't undo it (via ctrl-Z). I have to right-click, select Stacking->Unstack. Then it pops up a dialog and asks me whether I want to just unstack the files or delete the stack. I guess the first is the same as Expand Stack and the second is REALLY remove the stacking from the files?

It bothers me that I can do ctrl-z to undo stacking or unstacking and it bothers me to have it ask when  I tell it to unstack "do you really want to delete the stack or just unstack". Can't I just have the files unstack if I ask to unstack my files? This behavior reminds me of the (in)famous Windows paradigm of asking "are you sure?" before doing anything. I don't mind a confirmation dialog for options with potentially dangerous results - deleting files, deleting the catalog, etc but would rather have two options in the menu for these two different stacking options than one option that asks you for two choices.

Maybe I just don't understand the use case Mario used when he designed this and I also know I don't understand the tool fully after such a short time so it may all be a "stupid user" problem. ;D

Mario

QuoteThen it pops up a dialog and asks me whether I want to just unstack the files or delete the stack. I guess the first is the same as Expand Stack and the second is REALLY remove the stacking from the files?

Not exactly. The "unstack" command removes all selected files from the stack. The stack may contain other files not currently selected, or even in another scope (folder, category).
If you delete the stack, all files in the stack are unstacked, independent from where they are or if they are selected.

There is currently no undo for the stack command. Nobody ever requested it, because accidentally stacking files is not that common.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook