Hide data driven categories on the the Categories tab.

Started by clpratt, December 04, 2020, 01:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

The 'Category' Tab currently shows all category types including Data driven categories.As far as I understand it is not possible to assign a data driven category so I don't see the necessity for them to be displayed here.
There is already an option to hide data driven categories in the 'Current' tab, but not in the Categories tab.Please could we have an option to hide data driven categories in the Category Tab.

Mario

By Categories tab you mean one of the tabs in the Category Panel?
If so, you can add your own tabs and include only the categories want to see. This is a frequently used option and helps a lot to work faster with large category hierarchies.
See: Working with Additional Category Tabs

Also: Usually you place all data-driven categories under a parent-category. This way you can collapse the parent category and this not only hides all data-driven categories effectively, but also allows IMatch to skip re-calculating all the time.

For example the "IMatch Standard Categories" category contains all standard data-driven categories IMatch creates for new databases". You can hide all the child-categories with a single click on this parent category.
If you create data-driven categories directly under @All, consider moving them under a common parent category.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Thank you Mario for your help.
I wish to create a category tab (In the Category Panel) to show all categories except Data Driven.
To do this I would have to configure a tab by selecting all the categories I want except Data Driven.
But configuring a new tab does not allow multiple categories to be selected.
So, for me, it would be so much easier if the "Hide Data Driven" button was also available on the 'Category' tab as well as on the 'Current' tab.

Mario

Just move all your data-driven categories under a parent category and then close that category. This should solve this problem immediately.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Hi Mario, sorry to come back again with my problem.
I have all my Data Driven categories already under a parent category.
On the Category Panel 'Category' tab I collapse the 'Data Driven' categories.
I do a search for a category e.g. 'Canon'.
The first match is in Data Driven categories so the whole 'camera index / Canon Data Driven column expands and fills the whole panel top to bottom.
I have to close the Data Driven parent to see the normal categories.
As soon as I perform another search the Data Driven tree expands again!

Mario

I'll let this open for a while to see if other users also consider this a problem that needs to be solved.
They can +1 it to show me that they would like a new feature in this area.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

It is not that important for me.

But if I had the possibility to hide the "Data Driven Categories" in the panel "Categories" (not sure, if you really speaks from this main-pane, one of 6, "Media and Folders", "Categories" ...), I would for sure use it to hide the DDC.

Hence +1
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus