Adobe Lightroom Importer App question

Started by PhotoPhil, December 13, 2020, 07:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoPhil

An option in the Adobe Lightroom Importer App screen provides for importing of the Collections from a Lightroom catalog.

I have tried this a few times of the past few years and it does always import the collection names and creates the corresponding Imatch categories with zero photos linked.
However the App indicates that the importing should also populate the new Imatch categories with the relative files. The App seems to be trying to do something (?populate the new Categories?) but it just sits there with the busy symbol going around. I have only let it run for a couple of hours at most before closing the App.

I am just wondering if the App is intended to populate the categories as indicated.  I do not want to waste anyone's time over this as it is not very important but I thought I would ask before I finally give Lightroom away.

Thanks for any advice
Phil

Mario

The Lightroom catalog is undocumented. The Importer apps works based on what I could learn from catalogs sent in by users at the time.
Adobe changes Lightroom all the time and it is totally possible that your collection structure is not understood by the app.
Note: Only "manual" collections can be handled, the dynamic collections cannot be transferred because their structure is unknown.

Frankly, I have not worked on that app for more than a year and I don't recall the details anymore.
I would need your catalog to see what makes it different and how the app deals with it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PhotoPhil

Thanks Mario

They are "manual" collections and as I mentioned I have tried a number of times.
I understand the situation and do not want you to spend any time on it.  I just felt that I needed to ask but I can work around it by creating Keywords for the Collections in Lightroom and using those to populate the Categories in Imatch.

Cheers
Phil

Mario

I have made a test with my own catalogs and a catalog sent in by a user.
They work, apparently.

Maybe you can create a new catalog with two images and a few collections?
If this also fails to import, you can send it to me so I can have a look.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PhotoPhil

Mario

Test LR Catalog attached as requested.  Two Image Files with 4 "manual" LR collections.
I tried importing these collections to my Imatch.  The Categories were created  immediately as I ran the App but the images were not associated with them.  I let it run for only a few minutes this time.

Please do not spend too much of your time on this insignificant issue. (It appears to affect only me!)

Thanks
Phil

Mario

You did not include the images you have added to that catalog. So there is nothing to do for IMatch.

I have created a new catalog with Lr Classic (current version), added some images, created a number of collections, assigned files to these collections.
I creates a new database in IMatch and ran the Lr Importer App to import the files.

After the files were added and processed (!), I imported the collections via the Lr Importer app.
All collections were imported, and the files assigned to the corresponding categories.
Collection Sets and dynamic categories were not imported.

Are your collections in sets?
Did you want to IMatch to finish the import (so all files were in the database) before attempting to import the collections?

Sets worked here, too.
For some reason, Lr had not updated the database and file links to the child collections of the sets were not there...?
After opening the catalog again In Lr, closing it again, and then running the Lr importer app again, I could see the child collections of sets and import the files.
Strange. But as I said, Adobe does not document the Lr catalog and it's quite a bit of a mess. This is still code from the original vendor who created the software Adobe bought and evolved to Lightroom.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator