Location info, metadata & map panel

Started by DigPeter, October 09, 2013, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I would like to clarify the relationship between the map panel (which is magic), Location info & metadata.

I had some image files in the test database (build 120) with no geo coords.  As I have a gps track for those files, I used BreezeBrowser Pro to apply the coords.  In IM5 the metadata locations panel did not display the coordinates and the files did not appear in the map panel (automatic zoom to focussed file was selected).  After some head scatching, I did a normal rescan, but this had no effect.  I then reloaded metadata from the rescan menu and location info and map panel are OK.

Location Help states that this function can work off-line, it would seem from the above, that the metadata locations panel only displays geo info if it is in the database and the map panel does not work from metadata, only from database info.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

DigPeter

@Mario
I would be grateful if you could reply when you have the time.  Thanks.

JohnZeman

If you haven't done so you might want to use the metadata browser panel to see exactly which tags BreezeBrowser writes the GPS coordinates to.  It's been a few years since I've used BBPro so I can't say for sure but I'm wondering if it's not writing to obsolete tags?

FWIW I've never had this problem with the map panel.

Mario

Yep. First check which GPS tags were used by BB.
The Map panel displays the XMP:exif GPS tags, which are filled on import by mapping EXIF->XMP via ExifTool.
These are also the tags IMatch uses to locate the file on the map.

If these tags are not filled, the Location section of the Default Metadata Panel layout will not show any data, and IMatch will be unable to locate the file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Thank you, John & Mario.

A sample file is atttached.  As you can see from the GPS exif attachment, the gps coords are in exif, but I cannot find them in XMP.  I have checked both the metadata panel in IM5 and in exiftool.  Could you perhaps check the image file and let me know what you think.

This is not a great problem to me, because I normally download images direct from the camera with gps info attached.  I use Downloader pro for this and do not have this problem.  it seems that BB uses different standards in its two applications ::)

@John - what method do you use to download images from the camera?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Can you send me a sample file please?

In the default configuration (MWG compliance) IMatch automatically fills the XMP:exif GPS fields from the EXIF GPS records contained in the file. Or rather, ExifTool is instructed to do this. This usually works just great. I'll need to look at one of your files to see what it contains, and why ExifTool is not importing the data.

Or do you have configured IMatch under Metadata 2 in a special way, e.g. suppressing EXIF->XMP import?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Peter,

I downloaded your example-pic ... also LR does not show the location of your pic ... other pics from me, where I have used Geosetter, are  displayed in LR at their location.

I think, something went wrong with BB...
_______
Regards
Gerd

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 11, 2013, 02:27:48 PM
Can you send me a sample file please?
See my previous post, which seems to have crossed with yours.

In the default configuration (MWG compliance) IMatch automatically fills the XMP:exif GPS fields from the EXIF GPS records contained in the file. Or rather, ExifTool is instructed to do this. This usually works just great. I'll need to look at one of your files to see what it contains, and why ExifTool is not importing the data.

Or do you have configured IMatch under Metadata 2 in a special way, e.g. suppressing EXIF->XMP import?
I use the supplied default for Metadata 2.

DigPeter

Quote from: Gerd on October 11, 2013, 02:32:10 PM
Hi Peter,

I downloaded your example-pic ... also LR does not show the location of your pic ... other pics from me, where I have used Geosetter, are  displayed in LR at their location.

I think, something went wrong with BB...
Thanks, Gerd.  I think that you are correct.  I must use Geosetter, instead.

Mario

Please ZIP the file before uploading. Apparently all metadata has been stripped from that file during the upload.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 11, 2013, 07:28:55 PM
Please ZIP the file before uploading. Apparently all metadata has been stripped from that file during the upload.
Attached

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on October 11, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

Mario - I recommend you add a post under 'photools.community FAQ and Tips & Tricks' to emphasize this point. The board strips all metadata from image files during upload. Zipping them, as you note, prevents this problem. This has been discussed elsewhere before on the Forum, but posts like this get easily lost. And no one else has permission to post in Tips and Tricks.

John

Mario

QuoteMario - I recommend you add a post under 'photools.community FAQ and Tips & Tricks' to emphasize this point. The board strips all metadata from image files during upload. Zipping them, as you note, prevents this problem. This has been discussed elsewhere before on the Forum, but posts like this get easily lost. And no one else has permission to post in Tips and Tricks.
Done.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

I have downloaded the file and added it to a sample database. Default settings for metadata etc.
The file shows up with coordinates and also on the map panel:

I guess that you are using incompatible or wrong metadata settings which prevent IMatch from mapping the EXIF GPS coordinates to the XMP GPS coordinates IMatch uses internally. Can you check / post your Metadata 2 settings?

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 12, 2013, 08:53:24 AM
I guess that you are using incompatible or wrong metadata settings which prevent IMatch from mapping the EXIF GPS coordinates to the XMP GPS coordinates IMatch uses internally. Can you check / post your Metadata 2 settings?
I attach a screen grab of the Metadata 2 settings.  As you see, they are default, out of the can.   In my OP, you will recall that I described a special situation, where gps data was added by BB Pro after the image was ingested into IM5, as repeated here:

Quote from: DigPeter on October 09, 2013, 05:07:08 PM
I had some image files in the test database (build 120) with no geo coords.  As I have a gps track for those files, I used BreezeBrowser Pro to apply the coords.  In IM5 the metadata locations panel did not display the coordinates and the files did not appear in the map panel (automatic zoom to focussed file was selected).  After some head scatching, I did a normal rescan, but this had no effect.  I then reloaded metadata from the rescan menu and location info and map panel are OK.

Location Help states that this function can work off-line, it would seem from the above, that the metadata locations panel only displays geo info if it is in the database and the map panel does not work from metadata, only from database info.  Is this correct or am I missing something?
This thread indicates that metadata locations and the map panel operate from the file's exif data.  From my point of view, the question is answered. 

Thanks again for your help, Mario.

Mario

The Geo functions in IMatch use

XMP::exif:GPSLatitude
XMP::exif:GPSLongitude
XMP::exif:GPSAltitude

this is the most reliable source. These XMP fields are filled on import when IMatch imports EXIF into XMP.
The reverse geocoding and the map panel use this data, the GPS standard tags use this data, and the Default Metadata Panel layout also uses these tags.

Your settings look OK. IMatch should import the GPS coordinates from EXIF into XMP on import. Did on my system.
The XMP data already in the file has only a GPS version number, but no other GPS data. The GPS coordinates are only in the native GPS record. ExifTool imports the data from there into the GPS tags in XMP:exif.

What happens if you reload the metadata for one of the problem files via the <Ctrl>+<Refresh> command?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 12, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
What happens if you reload the metadata for one of the problem files via the <Ctrl>+<Refresh> command?
Thanks - I will get back on this later.

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 12, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
This made no difference in the original database.   I have repeated this with a new database and gps data now present and working in map panel.  Thanks for the help.