upon exit imatch says it has errors in the log

Started by timoteo, December 16, 2020, 02:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timoteo

Using the demo version of imatch I uploaded a 7k record folder to imatch and waited for it to finish its upload process. I rotated a few photos, did some searches, scrolled through some, then exited. When I exited, imatch told me there were errors in the log and asked if I wanted to see them.

is any of this significant or just noise? I only looked into this because imatch told me there were errors and asked if I wanted to see them.
You don't have to explain them all; I just need to know if they're important or not. I worked on a lot of software products over the years and our log files were full of warnings which we generally ignored.

Here are some of the errors & warnings I found in the log:

287 occurrences (total) of "Suspicious MakerNotes offset", "Unrecognized MakerNotes", "Bad MakerNotes directory", "Bad offset for MakerNotes tag"

66 occurrences of "Error reading PreviewImage from file"

354 occurrences of "Fixed incorrect URI for xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto_1_"

15 occurrences of "Ignored non-standard extended XMP"

24 occurrences of "Extracted only 1000 crs:PaintBasedCorrectionsCorrectionMasksDabs"

19 occurrences of "Invalid EXIF text encoding for UserComment"

and one error(?): "Load failed for 'C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\previewcache\622D3CEC-AD82-4146-B49D-655C16BD7E31\58\5868.jpg'. [80070020] 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.'  'V:\develop\IMatch5\src\IMatchNG\IMDXCacheManager.cpp(639)'"

Mario

The warnings from ExifTool just tell you that some of your files contain typical metadata mess.
This depends on which application you used to produce or modify these files.

ExifTool is very detailed and critical about metadata and looking at these files may be a good idea to ensure they are compatible with other applications.
Tip: When you write back in IMatch, ExifTool is usually able to fix the incomplete or non-standard metadata.
If other actions are needed depends on your workflow, if you create only for yourself or if you exchange files with clients and agencies. Agencies usually don't accept any files with broken metadata, and many of them use ExifTool as a step during the verification/acceptance processing.

The "...Extracted only 1000 crs:PaintBasedCorrectionsCorrectionMasksDabs" tells us that you have configured Lightroom/Photoshop to store every brush stroke you make inside the XMP record.
Not sure what this is good for or what you plan to do with all that data. Sometimes this mass of proprietary crs (camera raw) data can exceed the size of the actual image.
ExifTool aborts after reading 1000 elements of this mass data and IMatch by default does not import it (see The Tag Manager).

The only real error is IMatch reporting that Windows reported that it cannot access a cache file.
IMatch produces cache images for RAW files when they are first viewed, e.g. in the Viewer (See also The Cache).
In my experience, this is usually caused by another application scanning the cache folder (virus checker!) and blocking IMatch/Windows WIC (temporarily) from accessing the file.
In the Viewer you would see an error message or a ? icon instead of the image in this case.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook