Maps - no connection with geocoding service at Google Maps

Started by frlindla, December 30, 2020, 11:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

In map-panel in imatch it says "For development purposes only". I have an API key and have updated the billing information. But Imatch can not establish connection with the service.

Any suggestions how I can solve this?

I also get a message that Imatch can not establish connection with the geocoding service at GeoNames.

Do you restrict the API-key?

frlindla

Well, I think I solved it now. But got this message when I wanted to apply location data to all selected files in the scope:

Error setting GPS coordinates
A problem occurred while setting or updating the GPS coordinates for one or more files.
{
  "error": {
    "code": 1100,
    "message": "Internal error.",
    "details": {
      "result": "failed",
      "errorInfo": "Failed to reverse geo-code the files: \"\"."
    }
  }
}

Mario

The "For development purposes only"message comes straight from Google. They overlay this on their map tiles if your API key is not valid or expired.
Double-check your API key and make sure it is enabled for the required APIs, as explained here: https://www.photools.com/imatch/api-keys-explained/

QuoteI also get a message that Imatch can not establish connection with the geocoding service at GeoNames.

Do you use a free or paid account?
Maybe GeoNames.org is temporarily down for maintenance. Did you check on their web site?
Free accounts are limited and your account may have been temporarily disabled due to excessive usage?

What error messages did IMatch log into the log file? IMatch logs the messages received from 3rd party services (GeoNames, Google, etc.).
See log file

On my end, GeoNames.org functions OK.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

See the attachment. I think I have a paid account.

Mario

For geo-coding, I see this error:

This API key is not authorized to use this service or API. REQUEST_DENIED

which indicates that your GeoNames.org credentials are invalid.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

I had the same error (from Google Maps) and had to "upgrade" my Google Cloud Platform account because the free-of-charge period (or trial period) was over. Can't remember the exact wording. So you should carefully check your GCP account. Check also your payment methods. Which is easier said than done, in my opinion, because I find the GCP settings extremely confusing. Too many services for someone who does not work as a Google developer...

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

I think this one came from GeoNames.org...?

The Google Admin console is not meant to be used by mere mortals. It's for developers and corporate admins.
The only reason why you need your own account is that, otherwise, I would have to route every map authentication through my server, and pay for the Google Maps usage of all IMatch users. Which I cannot afford.
Even Adobe, with its deep pockets and enforced subscription models, disables Google Maps immediately when your Lr subscription runs out.

I have described the settings users need for Google here: https://www.photools.com/imatch/api-keys-explained/.
Since June last year  Google also requires a valid payment method for identification purposes and to protect their services. This made things a tad more complicated.

I think HERE Maps and OSM are much easier to setup.
But if a user wants/needs Google Maps, there are some extra hoops to jump though. Nothing I can do about it.
I offer support (at great cost for me, time-wise) Google, Bing, OSM and HERE. All users need to do is to pick their service of choice and fill in the API key once.

The way to simplify this for users would be:

a) switching IMatch to use Google only for Map, reverse geo-coding and search (to simplify internal code paths)
b) enabling map panel and related features only for users with a monthly IMatch subscription
c) limiting these features to a certain number of calls covered by a part of the subscription fee for each subscriber to avoid abuse/excessive cost

This would be technically challenging, most likely not welcome by users at all and also a legal nightmare (due to GDPR, general privacy, subscription model guarantees, what happens if I die etc.). Nope  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

I think I made it now!:)

Is it possible to tell Imatch that all selected files shall get the coordinates of a specific location? For example select a sircle and tell Imatch that all photos within that circle shall get the location coordinates?

JohnZeman

Quote from: frlindla on December 31, 2020, 04:02:18 PM
Is it possible to tell Imatch that all selected files shall get the coordinates of a specific location? For example select a sircle and tell Imatch that all photos within that circle shall get the location coordinates?

If you haven't you might want to read this in help about locations

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#geo_locations.htm

Jingo

Quote from: thrinn on December 31, 2020, 01:23:11 PM
I had the same error (from Google Maps) and had to "upgrade" my Google Cloud Platform account because the free-of-charge period (or trial period) was over. Can't remember the exact wording. So you should carefully check your GCP account. Check also your payment methods. Which is easier said than done, in my opinion, because I find the GCP settings extremely confusing. Too many services for someone who does not work as a Google developer...

Same same... it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  Spent way too much time yesterday tracking this down... I knew the overlay message wasn't IMatch and was directly related to my google API key/account... so, it should have taken 5 minutes at Google.. but nope.  45 minutes later after finding my API dashboard, navigating their panels and pages filled with overly complex mumbo-jumbo, credit cards that they wanted validation for (even though that wasn't the issue), I finally discovered I needed to "upgrade" my trial which had run out.  If they had sent me an email, I would have quickly known this and taken care of it!

Ridiculous implementation by Google IMO.... and I'm a software developer who signs up for API's (free and paid) all the time.. Google is by far one of the worst I've ever come across.  HERE makes this process simple, easy and clear for their API's.... what a difference!