Do you use timezone information?

Started by ben, January 01, 2021, 02:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Happy new year 2021 to everyone!

I would like to know if and how you are dealing with time zone information in your pictures.
Do you always change the timezone to where you actually are?
Do you remove the timezone from the pictures?

I finally figured out why pictures (mostly taken by other persons) sometimes don't show up at the expected position in the file window.
They contain time zone information and it doesn't always make sense.
I wrote a short script to remove the trailing part "z" or "+00:00" from the date.
But before i run it on many pictures it would be great to get some other opinions.

Thanks  a lot
Ben

Carlo Didier

My images usually all have a time zone set, because they are mostly split between GMT and GMT+1

JohnZeman

I do not use time zone information.
I always set my camera to the correct local time for the time zone I am in at the time.
Which can be a bit of a hassle once I cross into a new time zone but I've never had a problem doing it that way so I see no reason to change.

sinus

I have set in my camera UTC +1 means Madrid, Paris, Berlin.

And in my camera I use also summer- and wintertime.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

mastodon

I always set local time for EXIF data on tthe camera. Yes, that causes many problems, especially after landing with a plane in different timezone. :)
I am thinking about to set all time zones with the wizzard, after filtering them by GPS data. But with abou 40 000 pictures with many of the abroad it will be hard work.
I am looking for experiences.

ben

My current thinking is:

"What does it help to have time zone information?

iMatch applies the local timezone. Thus, a picture taken at 2pm in another timezone can end up besides pictures taken at 8pm of my local time at home. But in general i am rather interested at the "2pm" time.

So, i started to remove the timezone information of the latest pictures, but haven't decided yet if i do it with my older pictures as well.