Create new folder

Started by zematima, January 05, 2021, 10:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zematima

Hi all:
A simple question.
I know how to create a new folder of an existing one.
But how can I create a folder on the main tree inside IMatch?
For instance Fotos 21? (Just bellow Fotos 20)
Thanks in advance.
JRosa

sinus

I do not know a way.

I do simply add in these (rare) cases add a folder inside another one and then move the folder.
A bit akward, but it works.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

zematima

Hi sinus:
I already tried that, but when I drag the new folder to the main node (Fotos) IMatch doesn't allow it.
I know I can do that in Explorer , but it was easier inside IMatch.
Thanks anyway.

sinus

Quote from: zematima on January 05, 2021, 11:12:16 AM
Hi sinus:
I already tried that, but when I drag the new folder to the main node (Fotos) IMatch doesn't allow it.
I know I can do that in Explorer , but it was easier inside IMatch.
Thanks anyway.

Uh, yes, JRosa, you are right, sorry.
Yep, it seems, that inside IMatch, this is not possible?!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

F: is a virtual drive node, to collect all folders you have added from that drive.
You cannot create a new folder for a drive, only based on an existing folder.

If you want to create a folder in the root folder of drive F: (or inside a folder you have not indexed in IMatch), just to so in Windows Explorer, then drag the newly created folder from Windows Explorer into IMatch to index it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

zematima

Created the folder Fotos 21, on drive F:, and then dragged it inside Fotos.
Must write what I have done, otherwise next year I am asking the same... (Every year I create a new folder)
Thanks Mario.

Mario

The IMatch Notepad is a great place to store this kind of "How-To" information. Directly in IMatch. Just remember to look there first.
I keep all kinds of workflow steps, often used or complex variables etc. in this app. Very handy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

If you create a root folder on fotos drive F: and add it to your IMatch database, then move all of your Fotos 1, Fotos 2, Fotos 3 folders and so on so they are subfolders of the root folder, then it's easy to create a new folder each year.  With IMatch simply right click the folder you want to create a new subfolder in and choose the option to create it.

Attached is a screen shot of my IMatch folder tree and all it takes for me to create a new subfolder of my Years root folder.

Mario

This is a good approach, and it keeps the root folder nice and clean.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

zematima

Thanks JohnZeman for sharing your workflow.
Just did what you said.
Much easier to create new folders every year.