write-back changes to file

Started by frlindla, January 06, 2021, 06:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

I have about 100.000 files in my database and I also use other applications. If I write-back changes done in Imatch, these changes will also be visible in other applications, as I want. If I enable the "write-back changes to file" function, will this make Imatch very slow to work with? I guess this depends on number of files in the database?

Mario

QuoteIf I enable the "write-back changes to file" function

Do you mean the option to write-back changes immediately?
Then it depends on the number of files you change, the file format, the file size, the computer speed etc.

IMatch can set a rating or a headline for 1,000 files in the database in a second.
Writing back these 1,000 files can take several minutes. IMatch does this in the background.
BUT, writing back also means re-importing the new metadata, updating all data-driven categories, collections etc. Which may bog down IMatch a bit.

In short, try it out.
If you only deal with a few dozens files at a time (your working set), there will be no issue.
If you batch update thousands of files while doing metadata entry or corrections, this option may slow down your system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

Yes, I meant write-back changes immediately. I will try it out and see how it works. I guess I could also not use this option and just use the collection for updated files for today and then write-back those manually.

Mario

IMatch gives you all the options. Use whatever works best for your usage scenario.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on January 06, 2021, 07:17:34 PM
IMatch can set a rating or a headline for 1,000 files in the database in a second.
Writing back these 1,000 files can take several minutes. IMatch does this in the background.
BUT, writing back also means re-importing the new metadata, updating all data-driven categories, collections etc. Which may bog down IMatch a bit.
You might also consider that changing metadata inside files will flag those file as changed which may impact your backups.

Jingo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on January 07, 2021, 12:11:02 PM
Quote from: Mario on January 06, 2021, 07:17:34 PM
You might also consider that changing metadata inside files will flag those file as changed which may impact your backups.

This is true.. but is actually a good thing since I then know my backups are up to date as well with intact metadata ready for whatever software I might use down the road.  Since my backup scheme is setup to happen overnight automatically - I'm not concerned with the time it might take and space is so very cheap.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Jingo on January 07, 2021, 02:31:58 PM... I'm not concerned with the time it might take and space is so very cheap.
Good for you, but it might not be the case for everyone (heck, it definitely isn't). Therefore it's a factor to consider, so I mentioned it.

Some people also fear that data corruption becomes more probable if files are written/modified more often, but from over 30 years in IT, I can say that, from my experience, data loss far more often comes through hardware failures and human errors  8)