Starting iMatch with an user defined workspace

Started by Mike, February 14, 2021, 10:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

iMatch is currently starting with its own standard workspace.
I suggest to introduce three options for the iMatch launch:

a) Standard (as currently)
b) A specific workspace (if the user prefers a different standard)
c) Last used workspace (in the case users often need to continue things...)

It would also be good if these options were easy to change (not hidden). I also suggest better accessibility for switching workspaces.
Ideally, we would switch with one click and not after three clicks like currently.

Mario

IMatch has no own standard workspace. It automatically retains all settings you make which affect your workspace in the current application state.
There is no "last used workspace" or anything. IMatch does neither track nor need the name of the workspace you have loaded a couple of weeks ago.

You might store the current workspace settings under a name, if you want to be able to reload these settings later. This is optional. And, according to telemetry, less than 10% of all users use more than one workspace.
Nothing is "hidden", whatever you mean by that..?

Switching a workspace is very fast: <Alt>+<V>, then <R> and then the keyboard shortcut of your other workspace. Very fast.

I doubt that many users would really create different desktop shortcuts / task bar shortcuts for IMatch in order to launch it with different workspaces. Or start it from the command line.
Computer-specific workspaces are supported and automatically applied, together with all other computer-specific IMatch settings. This is the main purpose for workspaces, to have different setups for different computers / screen sizes.

Let's see how many likes this gets.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Quote from: Mike on February 14, 2021, 10:26:41 AM
iMatch is currently starting with its own standard workspace.
I suggest to introduce three options for the iMatch launch:

a) Standard (as currently)
b) A specific workspace (if the user prefers a different standard)
c) Last used workspace (in the case users often need to continue things...)

It would also be good if these options were easy to change (not hidden). I also suggest better accessibility for switching workspaces.
Ideally, we would switch with one click and not after three clicks like currently.

This is not exactly how it works, as far as I know: First, the current behaviour is more like option c), as IMatch remembers the settings from when it was last closed. But IMatch never works "inside" a named workspace. It always works inside the so-called "active" workspace behind the scene. Loading a named (= previously saved) workspace simply means copying the settings to the active workspace. So, I don't think there is a "standard" workspace - other than resetting IMatch using the advanced startup mode .
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mike

A kind of bug?

Although I had saved new workspaces for a long time and no longer used the original, iMatch still started with the same "original" workspace.
Even after I deleted the original entry, it still started like this. So I assumed that a standard was part of it.

Today I have produced several new workspaces to test it again. In fact, it seems that now the last workspace is actually used even after the reboot.
I have no idea why this is or whether it is reliable. Was it the last update, the antivirus settings or the number of new workspaces?
I haven't been watching that closely.

QuoteNothing is" hidden ", whatever you mean by that ..?

Sorry, I described it unfavorably. Such functions are very often placed in the settings (several apps I knew were designed in this way).
That would be hidden and impractical, and that's what I meant.

QuoteSwitching a workspace is very fast: <Alt> + <V>, then <R> and then the keyboard shortcut of your other workspace. Very fast.

That depends.

1. It is a long command that needs to be learned first and can be forgotten just as quickly if it is not really used all the time.
2. Not easy to know and learn. It's not visible in View / Workspaces next to the entries and I hadn't found it under the keyboard shortcuts either.
Maybe I missed something, but more importantly, it's not immediately apparent. The first thing you assume is that there are probably no keyboard shortcuts.

Quoteaccording to telemetry, less than 10% of all users use more than one workspace.

This can be explained in different ways:

1. Only 10% really need it.
2. Or it is only used by 10% because it is not easy to reach. Three clicks or a "misterious" shortcut  ;)
Hard-to-reach things rarely become part of an average workflow

QuoteI doubt that many users would really create different desktop shortcuts / task bar shortcuts for IMatch in order to launch it with different workspaces.

A dropdown list that can be reached directly could be a solution that everyone can deal with.
User would not have to create it at that place. It would be already there. User would only define workspaces.
Keyboard shortcuts could complement this list but hardly replace it.

An alternative would be e.g. up to 3-5 assignable buttons. Users could assign workspaces to them.
However you solve this, it must be directly accessible, otherwise it will not be used.

QuoteThis is the main purpose for workspaces, to have different setups for different computers / screen sizes.

I use them differently. I use different workspaces, depending on whether my goal is to view images and make quick annotations/decisions,
or whether I'm working on the thesaurus, categories, etc. There are other scenarios as well.

It takes too long to individually close or open all the tools needed to create the perfect environment.
A simple click on a dedicated workspace is much better.

Summarized:

1. BEHAVIOR

a) Standard (for everyone who is new or who wants the reliable, tried and tested order again)
b) Specific work space (so that you can always start in the way you think is best)
c) Start with the last used workspace (as it already seems to be - for the case you want to continue the last kind of session)

2. ACCESSIBILITY

Offer individual saved workspaces as directly accessible drop-down list or programmable buttons.

Mario

QuoteToday I have produced several new workspaces to test it again. In fact, it seems that now the last workspace is actually used even after the reboot.

Misconception. When you load a workspace, IMatch copies the settings from that workspace into the current state. All modifications you make also go into that state, the loaded workspace is not modified.
If you later load the same another workspace, the state is replaced with whatever settings are in that workspace.
We've had it the other way round (IMatch storing settings in the last loaded workspace) but users really did not like that and I had to change the concept to what we have now. Worked great for more than four years.

QuoteOr it is only used by 10% because it is not easy to reach. Three clicks or a "misterious" shortcut 

If you need to switch your workspaces so often that opening a 2nd level menu by keyboard or mouse becomes a burden, maybe you are using too many workspaces?
The reason that less than 10% of the user base use workspaces is simple: You usually don't need more than one workspace. Some users do, because of multi-monitor setups or maybe because they want to totally reconfigure IMatch occasionally, but most users don't. I have only one workspace per PC, for example.

QuoteA dropdown list that can be reached directly could be a solution that everyone can deal with.
I'm not in favor of using precious screen estate on a rarely used feature. You already have a menu with all your workspaces. You can reach it via <Alt>+<V>, <R> any time.
If you switch workspaces often, you will soon remember that keyboard shortcut. Else go via the View > Workspaces menu. Not too complicated.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

I have 2 custom workspaces, one for each of my databases.  Normal for photos, and Vids for my Video database.  IMatch always remembers the last workspace I've loaded and uses that until I change to the other workspace.  I've been using IMatch since 2006 and I don't recall it ever switching to something else by itself.

Switching workspaces is very easy for me.
I have 2 very simple apps that do that when I press their buttons on an IMatch favorites panel.  Don't know how it could be much simpler than that.

As an aside I also have the currently loaded workspace name displayed in the IMatch ID plate.

(See attached).

Mike

Thank you for the the little app! It works.

Since I haven't got into writing or editing apps yet, I have to do a little research / experiment.

First I have to find out where I can view and edit it.
Because I suppose I would have to create further versions, each dealing with a different workspace (?)

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mike

Thanks for the links on the subject of development!

QuoteMisconception. When you load a workspace, IMatch copies the settings from that workspace into the current state.

I don't think it was a misunderstanding. iMatch behaves exactly as expected. I get what I load. And if I change what I have loaded, the result is basically a new workspace, but without reference to the original, which remains unchanged.

QuoteYou can reach it via <Alt> + <V>, <R> any time

I mostly don't. And now I understand why I had problems with this. The ALT key does not work reliably in iMatch. Only in iMatch. Sometimes it is active when I restart the computer. I feel like it dies as soon as I either change a workspace or just when I click anything in the main menu. I'm not sure. Restarting iMatch never helps. Restarting the computer helps sometimes.

I don't know if this is related to the other problem I had (iMatch still started with the same "original" workspace), but either this is a bug or something else is being triggered that I am not aware of.

Any idea why the ALT key might strike?

Mario

Never had any problem with the <Alt> key in IMatch.
And neither was this ever reported in this community or via the support ticket system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mike

I have no idea if this is related to the problem or if it was specifically designed, but in every software I know of, items are highlighted when you hover over drop-down menus. Not in iMatch. I just can't remember: was that normal or is it unusual? Since the ALT key is still on strike, I cannot test the normal state.

Mario

Windows indicates hotkeys in menu entries when the menu was opened via the keyboard.
Like it does, in IMatch:

The menu shows the keyboard shortcut, the hotkeys for the menus is indicates with an underscore. All standard.
If this does not work on your PC, maybe reinstall Windows?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mike

In my screenshot I was with the mouse directly over "Did you know?", but as you can see, my item isn't highlighted as in your picture. The underscore is also not there (I mean not even in the main menu). So there is no ALT+V available to open the VIEW. But, and this is strange, ALT+F4 does work and closes the app.

iMatch is the only app that I have this ALT issue with. So I'll start by reinstalling iMatch. But not before I test a few more things ...

Mike

While watching the ALT key problem, I noticed that at some point there was also another problem that I reported a few days ago. The app manager and the "Did you know?" app showed no content. https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=11023.0 Unfortunately, I did not recognize whether the problems started at the same time or with a time lag.

I don't know if there is a connection or not, but I've made another discovery and that seems to indicate a connection too. I deleted all workspaces and restarted the PC. Suddenly I had both back: the ALT key function and the content of the App Manager and the "Did you know?" App.

It could still have been a coincidence, of course, but it's the second time. I have to keep watching.

Mario

If the App Manager shows no apps, IMWS could not start. You should have got a message.
Or, IMWS could find an open port, but was then blocked by your firewall or anti-virus. Fix that and apps will work again. See the documentation of your firewall/AV, their log files, the Windows event log for related messages.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

I actually do see usefulness in starting iMatch with a specific workspace (passed as a parameter on the command line).

Example from myself: One workspace for working at home with my 3440x1440pixel widescreen monitor and another one when travelling, using the internal 1920x1080pixel screen of my laptop. The workspaces are different.
I could start iMatch with a different shortcut for each situation. Heck, I could even write 5-line Powershell script to automatically select the correct workspace parameter whether my large screen is connected or not. Thatwould be nice  8)

Jingo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on February 15, 2021, 02:13:09 PM
I actually do see usefulness in starting iMatch with a specific workspace (passed as a parameter on the command line).

Example from myself: One workspace for working at home with my 3440x1440pixel widescreen monitor and another one when travelling, using the internal 1920x1080pixel screen of my laptop. The workspaces are different.
I could start iMatch with a different shortcut for each situation. Heck, I could even write 5-line Powershell script to automatically select the correct workspace parameter whether my large screen is connected or not. Thatwould be nice  8)

The system USED to do this - saving a workspace per computer  -> https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=729.msg4277 - that was IM5 though so a long time ago!

You could also write a service app to do some panel setup though I don't believe you can open a workspace through IMWS at this time - I always wanted a loadWorkspace function.. or the ability to setup panels with screen coordinates (I tried this a long time ago for my Panel APP).

Mike

Sorry to add reports of an issue to this thread, but they just arose in that context.

I am not sure whether the virus software can be responsible across the board. I also tested iMatch with the antivirus turned off.

a) Antivirus is set so that iMatch is trusted. The database is also free.

b) The ALT key problem manifests itself exclusively in iMatch. I've tested all of the major programs I work with.
The ALT key also works perfectly in Windows Explorer and everywhere I have tried it. So I don't think it's a Windows or keyboard problem.

c) With or without the Internet, with or without an activated antivirus, a certain connection can always be observed:
As long as the "Did you know?" app or the app manager are active (orange top bar) the ALT key does not work quite correctly.

- The first click on the ALT key leads to underlined letters in the main menu, but they are not actually activated. e.g. ALT + V does not open the View menu.
- The second click on the ALT key does not clear the menu.
- But as soon as you click on another panel, the ALT key works as expected again.

During the time I was experimenting with it, the larger bug did not return, so I could not analyze it yet,
but my guess was confirmed that there are connections between the panels mentioned and the ALT key.

jch2103

Quote from: Mike on February 15, 2021, 11:20:09 PM
As long as the "Did you know?" app or the app manager are active (orange top bar) the ALT key does not work quite correctly.[/b]

- The first click on the ALT key leads to underlined letters in the main menu, but they are not actually activated. e.g. ALT + V does not open the View menu.
- The second click on the ALT key does not clear the menu.
- But as soon as you click on another panel, the ALT key works as expected again.

I'm seeing this also under the above conditions.
John