Aspect Ratio

Started by sinus, February 17, 2021, 08:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario
Thanks a lot for the new variable:
{File.AspectRatio}

This works fine and is a great help.

In the same aerea, I have a variable to display, if the file is square, landscape or portrait (Quad, Quer, Hoch).

I use this variable: {File.Width|numcomp:eq,{File.Height},QUAD,{File.Width|numcomp:gt,{File.Height},Quer,Hoch}}

I wonder, if I check this variable with VarToy, the result is always correct, as far as I can see.
But if I use the same variable in the header-section of the File Windows Layout, the result is sometimes wrong.

I think, I know now, what this is (not sure, but quite sure):

VarToys takes the thumb without proxies, and the Windows Layout uses the values of proxies.
Hence the difference.
If this is correct, then this mystery is solved and forget this post!

For example the chair shows in VarToy correct "Hoch", in the Windows Layout is written "QUAD".

I am quite sure, that my variable is wrong, but I wonder, what is wrong or better, what is the correct variable.
I have tested several possibilities, but I could never catch the correct variable.

Can you or someone else see my error?

btw: somewhere I my head is a "fog"  ::) , that this has been here on the forum before, but I can not be sure and cannot find something
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

VarToy does not know anything about file versioning or proxies.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 17, 2021, 09:45:53 AM
VarToy does not know anything about file versioning or proxies.

Of course, sorry.
I simply did not think at this, because usually VarToy shows ecactly the same like the Windows Layout.
But in this case VarToy cannot know this.

I realised this after my post, that is why I added the lines in blue.  ;D 8)
Markus

Mario

Please don't use too many colors or too much text in bold.
It looks a bit as if you were YELLING  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 17, 2021, 03:28:04 PM
Please don't use too many colors or too much text in bold.
It looks a bit as if you were YELLING  ;)

People are different.
This text from you, with the lot of colors, ahem, I personally like more then boring text without bold.

But, as I said, people are and feels different.  ;D
That is why I  like your announcements, like e.g. your last one,  honestly:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=11006.0

8)
Markus

Mario

Announcements are special. I intend to yell and to put it into users faces  ;D
Stats show that using bigger and bold fonts in announcements improve engagement rate. Which is important for announcements or new  version releases. :)

In normal posts, I find not using bold font or colors is much more pleasing. And improves read and reply rates. And that's what we want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on February 17, 2021, 09:01:45 PMIn normal posts, I find not using bold font or colors is much more pleasing. And improves read and reply rates. And that's what we want.
I agree. Strong colors and bold text as well as ALL CAPITALS in a normal conversation are generally considered bad etiquette, i.e. the equivalent of shouting in a verbal conversation, and should be avoided.
A little emphasis can be made by using italics, or maybe an underlining, but anything more could be taken as offence.

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 17, 2021, 09:01:45 PM
Announcements are special. I intend to yell and to put it into users faces  ;D

This is what I wanted with the blue text in my post, to yell to you and others, this post here is solved!  ;D
I thought about deleting the post, but I decided against it.

@Carlo, I am not an Expert, but I have lerned from different sources, that we should not use underlining, like you wrote. Because it is too often confused with click on it as a link
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on February 18, 2021, 07:37:33 AM@Carlo, I am not an Expert, but I have lerned from different sources, that we should not use underlining, like you wrote. Because it is too often confused with click on it as a link
You are perfectly right for use online, but my remarks were meant more generally, i.e. also for other uses.
Usually though, confusion with links should not be an issue as those normally also get colored.