64-bit version planned for final release?

Started by lenmerkel, October 16, 2013, 12:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenmerkel

Will there be a 64-bit version planned when the final release ships? I did search for this in the forums but didn't find the question asked previously.

(I fully understand the logic of making only a 32-bit version available for beta.)
Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

JohnZeman

This was asked a year or so ago and at the time Mario said no, not for the initial release.  However I think he also said he might in the future make a 64 bit version available but I'm not sure of that.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

emef

Maybe for better memory management, thereby improving the speed of the application.   ;D

Mario

IMatch lives very happily in only about 300 to 600 MB of memory (depends on the size of the database, 50,000 to 200,000 files). Photoshop/LR nowadays cannot load even a single RAW file in that small amount of memory as it seems 

IMatch can use up to 3 GB of memory, which is plenty even for memory-intensive features like the slide show and the Viewer (which are actually the only memory-intensive features in IMatch 5 so far).

There is no real need to port IMatch to 64 Bit just to flap the "64 Bit" label on it. 64-Bti is good for database servers, web servers, ... and Adobe applications. And of course shipping a 64-Bit version of an application allows a company to charge for another upgrade...Mhmmm... ;D

Porting IMatch to 64 Bit does not only affect my code, but also code I integrate from third party vendors and Open Source projects. And this is also where I expect problems.

I know that the UI toolkit and the imaging library I use are 64-Bit read (after me paying for an upgrade, which is fair).

I know that the WinWrap Basic engine I use for the scripting system in IMatch is available in a 64 Bit version. But I would have to upgrade my license for a several thousand US$ (!) up-front fee, plus much higher annual license fees.

My own code can be ported fairly easily to 64-Bit. And there's lots of it.
I know that the database system is use for core storage is available for 64 Bit.
I don't know how the open source code I use will be portable or if I have to replace it or switch to other open source libraries. This cannot be estimated easily and has to be "tried". I reduced the dependencies on third party libraries and alien code in IMatch 5 massively, compared to IMatch 3. Part of this was to reduce porting problems. But there are still some indispensable libraries for which I never have tried (if available) their 64 Bit versions.

Although IMatch 5 will not benefit much from a 64 Bit version I will look into this after version 5 has been released and the initial rush of events fades. At least I hope that there will be a rush of events and that IMatch 5 does make a wave in the DAM market

The decision to port IMatch 5 to 64 Bit also depends all on how many upgrades I sell, and how many new users I can find. When I make money from the product, I'll be happy to re-invest it to improve the product further, port to 64 Bit and add all kinds of exciting and useful features. No shareholders to feed, no expensive company car or business trips  ::)

If IMatch 5 does not sell, I'll need to reconsider several things. Business as usual.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

emef

Thank you for that.
I should have known that there was one (or more) reasons, but now I know better and I can only agree with you.    :)

sinus

Interesting, detailed answer from Mario, thanks.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

lenmerkel

Thank you Mario, for the detailed response, which makes perfect sense to me (as a photographer & as a software developer). I asked the question merely out of curiosity - good to know that iMatch5 doesn't need the memory headroom that some other apps seem to need.

I use 64-bit apps for raw conversion (DxO Optic Pro) and pixel editing (Picture Window Pro), both of which can benefit from the additional RAM they can access on a 64-bit system. I understand that iMatch5 (essentially a DB client - a very smart one) wouldn't benefit the same way.

P.S. I'm sure iMatch5 won't make a wave - it'll make a tsunami. ;D
Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

Richard

QuoteI'm sure iMatch5 won't make a wave - it'll make a tsunami. ;D

I agree.

medgeek

Thanks for those insights from a developer's point of view.  Here's hoping for very successful launch of IMatch 5!