Time one hour off

Started by rienvanham, March 15, 2021, 08:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rienvanham

Hallo,

I'm a newbee to iMatch so perhaps this is a stupid question (until so far I douldn't find the answer):

If I click on a photo, the metadata reflects: creationdate: 2011:01:15 14:23:09 (which is correct). In the browser it states: 15-01-2011 13:23 (which is one hour off).
Another example: metadata: 2020:09:20 11:43:02+02:00 (though with timezone): browser: 20-09-2020 10:43.

How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance,

Rien van Ham

Mario

What do you mean by browser?

Note that IMatch always uses local time when displaying time somewhere, for variables etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

Sorry, I don't know how that part is called where are files are visible.

I added a file so that you can see what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

Mario

Can you please switch to the Default layout (you are currently using the PDF layout) and show us the date created and date subject created.
IMatch derives the global File.DateTime used everywhere from these XMP / EXIF tags. Not from the created tag.

See How IMatch uses Date and Time Information for information of how IMatch extracts date and time information from various file formats.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rienvanham

Sure!

I saw aftere sending that I changed this while viewing PDF's and forgot to reset is.

THanks!

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

I think I found the solution:
Edit layouts
change line 2 in header to "Create Date".

Thanks!

Mario

The create date is usually of little importance. IMatch uses the standard date subject created tag for the global File.DateTime, the Timeline and all other features in IMatch which work with date and time, like sorting.
The help topic I've linked to above explains that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Megan

Hello.  I'm new to IMatch as well, and having a similar problem.  I have some photos that display the time in the file window as expected (matching the Create Date and Date Subject Created), but I have other photos that display with the time an hour off.  I can't figure out why this is, or the pattern as to which photos will not display the time as expected.  I've attached a few example screenshots.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  I'm enjoying getting started with IMatch, and have gotten lots of help so far from the Help System and Community posts.

Mario

Time-zone or maybe daylight saving time issue.
By default, IMatch does apply the local time-zone processing when analyzing the date and time tags available in a file to determine the global File.DateTime.
As used for the DateTime attribute used in the default File Windows, for the timeline, sorting, searching and other features.

You can correct the timestamps in the Metadata Panel (shift them or apply the correct time zone).
You can use the TimeWiz app do shift time values for many files at once.

The option Apply time-zone in Edit menu > Preferences > Metadata 2 controls whether or not IMatch applies the local time zone when filling File.DateTime during importing metadata.
Note: Changes to this setting are applied in the future. To apply the settings to files already in the database, you need to select them in a file window and press Shift+Ctrl+F5 > Reload Metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Megan

Thanks very much for the quick reply, Mario!  Disabling Apply time-zone and reloading metadata yielded the behavior I was looking for.  The times displayed in the File Window now all match the Create Date/Date Subject Created.  If I understand correctly, now the File Window displays (and the global File.DateTime is set to) the actual time when and where the photo was taken?  I often take photos with family in a time zone one hour different from mine, but I'd like all photos to simply display as the date & time taken, wherever they were taken.  This behavior makes sense to me, unless there is some other compelling reason to leave Apply time-zone enabled.  I'm trying to make a good start of getting my database set up in a consistent, usable way.  If all seems good with my approach, no need to reply.  Thanks again!

Mario

Time-zone offsets, daylight saving time in effect or not when the image was created / viewed is all but a can of worms. It impossible to get it "right" for every user in every country at any given time and with all settings.
Some cameras know the time and zone, and add it. Which is optional. Most don't. Daylight saving time may be in effect in your location. You may process the files in another time zone they were taken in...
Many pros avoid these issues by keeping their cameras on UTC!

IMatch uses the global File.DateTime as the corresponding File Window attribute and for the timeline. And for the {File.DateTime} variable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on March 17, 2021, 09:52:23 PM
Many pros avoid these issues by keeping their cameras on UTC!

Of course, in some ways that's just postponing the issue... But of course all their date/times are consistent then, which is a positive thing.
John

Mario

Right. Pro's like to keep things simple and quick.
But there are different kind of pro's of course. A PJ with a 30 minute deadline is different from a wedding photographer. And there are PJ's doing months-long projects or traveling photographers which shoot photos over a period of 3 or 6 months and in 10 time-zones... ::)
If you set your camera set to UTC every morning before starting taking photos, as part of your daily check settings routine, things will be simpler. IMHO.

IMatch can only do so much. It gives you options, but there is always a a chance that your situation cannot be handled automatically. For this, the Time Wiz app is the solution.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator