image thumbnail rotated but viewer image not rotated

Started by chupacabra, March 21, 2021, 02:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chupacabra

I have found several examples in my images where the image thumbnail in the main window is oriented right-side up (if a portrait, the person's head would be at top of the image). The image SOOC,as displayed from disk by the Windows Photo Viewer is oriented so the top of the image is to the right. I shot the image vertically and so it displays funny.

My question is why don't the thumbnail image and the viewer image show the image the same way? I guessing that the thumbnail orients the image the way it is intended to be viewed but the Viewer doesn't do this. I would like them both to display the image the same way.

Can I do this in imatch?

see attached screen capture.

Aubrey

Have you forced a reload of the image in thedatabase
Crtl shift F5?

That should ensure consistent orientation.
Aubrey

Aubrey

in addition:
If orientation is still not correct you could try:
<right click> Rotate and Transform > Orientation (EXIF) Select Normal (No rotation)

Then if rotation is not correct select correct orientation:
<right click> Rotate and Transform > Orientation (EXIF) then select rotation required.

Note "Orientation (EXIF)" only works for jpg files.

Aubrey.

Mario

This is quite rare to see for JPEG files.
It is appears occasionally for RAW files when the embedded preview has been rotated differently from the RAW data.
JPEG files usually have no preview and IMatch extracts the thumbnail from the full JPEG and rotates it as defined in the EXIF orientation tag.
For the Viewer and Quick View panel, IMatch loads the file via Windows WIC and DirectX and rotates it as defined by the EXIF orientation tag.

Maybe the file is weird and either the JPEG processing library in IMatch interprets the EXIF orientation wrong or Windows WIC does. No idea.

Provide a download link for the file in your example or send it to support email address with a link back to this thread (I get a lot of emails per day).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

chupacabra

I tried doing a Rescan but that didn't change the orientation of my photo in the thumbnail or the viewer - they still disagree.

I decided to try removing the photo from the database (but not the disk) and then doing a Rescan of the directory. THEN the image thumbnail was oriented the same way as the image in the viewer - they are both displayed the without any rotation, with the top left part of the image oriented towards one side, apparently ignoring any EXIF data controlling orientation. Now I rotate the image so it appears correctly in the thumbnail and the image in the viewer is displayed correctly too.

I've been able to repeat this workaround with other images that have the same problem.

Mario

Please upload a sample file to your cloud space and post a link here or send a file to support email address, with a link back to this thread. I cannot say anything useful without a sample image to test.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: chupacabra on March 23, 2021, 12:03:40 AM
I tried doing a Rescan but that didn't change the orientation of my photo in the thumbnail or the viewer - they still disagree.

I decided to try removing the photo from the database (but not the disk) and then doing a Rescan of the directory. THEN the image thumbnail was oriented the same way as the image in the viewer - they are both displayed the without any rotation, with the top left part of the image oriented towards one side, apparently ignoring any EXIF data controlling orientation. Now I rotate the image so it appears correctly in the thumbnail and the image in the viewer is displayed correctly too.

Hi,
Did you use "force update" in rescan?
I would have thought that rescan using "force update" (right click on image and select "force update" from rescan options) would be the same as removing image from database and rescanning.

Aubrey.

chupacabra

Sorry I didn't reply months ago. It's supposed to notify me of replies but I may not have it set correctly.

I have found that doing ctrl-Rescan sets the image orientation to the default. Then I can rotate it correctly. I am not sure how the rotation recorded in the image could show up differently in imatch but I don't see it too often and at least now I know what to do when I run into the problem.