Upper Case For First Letter In Each Word

Started by PandDLong, March 25, 2021, 11:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I thought I came across a function (or argument) that would take a text string and set the first letter in each word to upper case.  (ie. "Change this sentence's look" to "Change This Sentence Look").  I even scratched a note to myself and come back to see how to use it.

Now I can't find it.   

Perhaps I was dreaming and there is no such capability?

Mario

Data-driven categories have an option for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Got it - thanks for the quick response.  I was hoping there was a way to rewrite my file titles in this style - but alas - I will do so manually or just leave it as-is.

Michael

Aubrey

Sounds relatively simple to do with a ten line app. (always needs more than 10 lines though)

How many files do you have?

Just thinking if it's worthwhile to do....
Aubrey.

jch2103

Another alternative is Bulk Rename Utility https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/. Free, and it easily allows changing file name case to 'Title' (i.e., initial caps for each word). Very handy program for occasional difficult/odd renaming jobs. Among other things, it support regular expressions.
John

loweskid

I'm sure the OP will correct me if I'm wrong but I assumed the question was about the text in the 'Title' field, not the file name.

If so, one option would be to export as a CSV file to a spreadsheet*, use that to capitalise the initial letter of each word, then import it back into IMatch.

* I don't use it if I can possibly avoid it but I know it can be done with Excel.

Mario

Mhm...

One way to do this (if this is a one-time only operation) would be to:

1. Create a data-driven category based on the title tag.
2. Enable the option "Unify spelling" with "First lettter upper case"
3. Use the Metadata Mechanic to copy the name of the category containing the file into the title tag

Not sure how often users run into this particular problem. I could add an option for this to the Metadata Mechanic app if this is needed often.
Let me know via a feature request.

Forget it. I have added new functions to the Metadata Mechanic: "To Uppercase", "To LowerCase  and "Capitalize".
Starting with "London tower bridge" they produce "LONDON TOWER BRIDGE", "london tower bridge" and "London Tower Bridge".

@PandDLong: Contact me via support email address if you need this change now. I send you the updated app.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Fabulous - lucky me.  I will send an email.

Thanks so much

PandDLong

Quote from: loweskid on March 27, 2021, 01:30:06 AM
I'm sure the OP will correct me if I'm wrong but I assumed the question was about the text in the 'Title' field, not the file name.

If so, one option would be to export as a CSV file to a spreadsheet*, use that to capitalise the initial letter of each word, then import it back into IMatch.

* I don't use it if I can possibly avoid it but I know it can be done with Excel.

I should have answered - you are quite right.  It was about the 'Title' field - as I used it as part of my file name I mistakenly called it 'File Title' in my post.

Looks like Mario has a solution - otherwise I would have looked into the export/import idea.

Thanks for the suggestion.