Version Stacking: Version Stack Visual

Started by Aubrey, April 01, 2021, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I'm having difficulty understanding the version stack logic.

Version Stack Visual (From the Help file)
If this is enabled, this version will be used to represent the version set when the version stack is collapsed.
You can use that, for example, to show the 'final' image in a set when the stack is collapsed, and the master when the stack is expanded.

My understanding from the manual is that if "Version Stack Visual" is ticked and the stack is expanded, the master should be shown in the thumbnail. This is not what is happening.

I've created a test database with a datbase of 2 sets of files, a jpg (version) an  NEF (master) - I've reduced the exposure on the jpg to enhance the comparison. I've used the IMatch default for NEF and JPG versioning (see file detection.jpg)

When "Version Stack Visual" is unchecked we get view as expected: versionStackVisualUnticked.jpg

However, when "Version Stack Visual" is checked we get the NEF file taking the appearance of the jpg (versionStackVisualTicked,jpg). As I understand the logic, this should only represent the version set (i.e., the jpg) when the version set is stacked.

As Visual (From the Help File)
If you set this option for a version, it will be uses as the visual proxy for the given master file. IMatch uses this version instead of the master file in all display features, e.g. the thumbnail, the Quick Preview Panel, the Viewer and the Slide Show.

When I check "As Visual" (nothing else checked in this section) I find that:
Thumbnail, Quickview Panel and Slide Show are correctly displaying, however the Viewer is displaying the image from the NEF, but the visual proxy is the JPG.
(I've not attached images of this).

Can someone please clarify my understanding of the logic.

Thank you,
Aubrey.

Mario

There is a visual proxy and a version stack proxy. You can use either, both or none.
The stack proxy overrides the visual proxy.
When you change version options, make sure to refresh the relations afterwards.
Note that both the Viewer has an option to toggle between the visual proxy and the original file. Make sure you know how you have set this option.
The Version panel shows you the master and all versions.

I've just checked.
When I use the version stack proxy option, the proxy is only used when the stack is properly collapsed.
When you just toggle the options to show all files, whether stacked or not, the version proxy is still applied - because the stack is not collapsed. This toolbar button does not unstack or stack, it just shows all files usually invisible due to stacking. Toggle the stack with <T> to see the effect of the visual proxy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2021, 03:00:41 PM
Note that both the Viewer has an option to toggle between the visual proxy and the original file. Make sure you know how you have set this option.

aha, I've found this option - thank you.

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2021, 03:00:41 PM
When you just toggle the options to show all files, whether stacked or not, the version proxy is still applied - because the stack is not collapsed.
Toggle the stack with <T> to see the effect of the visual proxy.
Whoops I was just toggling the options to see all files, using T shows everything works fine  :-[ (In hindsight it makes sense).

Appreciate the clarifications. I know the visual proxy was added sometime ago I've always meant to implement it's use; this afternoon I've had time to try it out. Now I finally understand how it works. Complex and neat.