Looking for Tips on using [group] level keywords (or not)

Started by PandDLong, March 29, 2021, 01:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I understand the group level keyword concept and iMatch works flawlessly as documented.

I am looking for opinions and lessons on using the group level - or not.   

In setting up my thesaurus, I used quite a few terms to organize my hierarchy but as they weren't really keywords themselves I set them to a group level  (some at the top level and a couple at level 2).  No need to have them in the keywords tag in the file (I thought to myself).

But then I lose that organizational structure in the @keywords category; it looks messy and it is difficult to find what I am looking for.

I am sure that over-time I would learn where everything is located in the @keywords category but I am wondering what others decided to do.

Use [groups] or not?  Or just in a few specific cases.

Appreciate the wisdom of the community.

Michael

Stevef48

Not, if you mean that they aren't named categories, or keywords, in your Thesaurus.

The group levels may not be useful at present, but you may find a use for them in future.
e.g.
I have a keyword Places, which has a few children 'East Kent' - my local area, UK, Holidays and others. This make it a doddle to see all of my Holiday pictures for example. Click the Holidays label and I see them all. Without this I would only be able to view pictures from a specific holiday destination.
As you have discovered having a hierarchy makes it easier to navigate a complex keyword structure.
Steve

jch2103

It really depends on your needs. I use [group] keywords in some situations, but not others. I agree with problems that can occur with keywords that are too granular; you can end up with so many that it gets harder to locate (and remember) the ones you want to use. A good thesaurus certainly helps keep things consistent and organized.

Examples of where I don't use them: bird/(species), etc. or architecture/capitol, etc.
Examples of where I do: [When]/[Events]/Graduation, etc.

I don't think I've been really consistent, but it's fairly easy to change things if I so decide.

John

Mario

My advise: Keep it simple.

Group keywords are intended to organize your thesaurus better. If you don't have deep keyword hierarchies or hundreds/thousands of keywords, you probably don't need them.
IMatch is used by scientists (with very large and deep classification hierarchies), stock photographers (with tons of keywords and synonyms in multiple languages) and normal folks like me, which manage with maybe a hundred or two keywords.

Just the fact that IMatch offers advanced options like group levels, exclude levels, splashers etc. does not mean that you have to use them. And, in general, simple is better.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Thanks for the replies and examples.

Quote from: Mario on April 02, 2021, 09:37:04 PM
Just the fact that IMatch offers advanced options like group levels, exclude levels, splashers etc. does not mean that you have to use them. And, in general, simple is better.

A good summation and given my situation, I can keep my Group keywords to a minimum. 

Michael