Lost draggin to applications

Started by Kucera, April 29, 2021, 07:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kucera

My move to Windows 10 has been wrought with problems. On windows 7 machine I could just drag the selection from filewindow to, say, Photoshop, or my favourite file XYplorer file manager, or even Windows Explorer. Now I am only able to drag to the desktop or to an Explorer window, AND I must remember to hold down ctrl, otherwise the file is moved, not copied.
I wonder, but can't confirm, whether it started  after the latest of Windows weekly updates? I Am I doomed to bear it or is there any setting in IMatch that I may have inadvertently changed?
Regards Emil

Kucera

Edit: On speculation, I just opened IMatch as administrator today, and right now I can drag from it. That means it is either an easy solution, or, if it does not work all the time, we would know it is Windows problem, not IMatch.

Mario

I assume you are using the latest version of IMatch?

I have no issues dragging files to IMatch or other applications. And I NEVER work in Administrator mode, this would be very dangerous.
Please read Using Drag and Drop again to remember all details.

There are also many other ways to open files in external applications from IMatch: Opening Files in Other Applications
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Kucera

Quote from: Mario on April 29, 2021, 08:51:33 PM
I assume you are using the latest version of IMatch?
Yes I do
QuoteI have no issues dragging files to IMatch or other applications. And I NEVER work in Administrator mode, this would be very dangerous.
Please read Using Drag and Drop again to remember all details.
Believe me, I re-read those help files over and over. I had high hopes for the tip:
   "You may need to hold down the Alt key when dragging files from IMatch to some applications. Do this when the other application only shows text instead of processing the dropped file." but no luck. With IM open as Administrator it works without Alt.
   What do I risk when IM opens as admin? There are other apps that have to be open that way to work properly, PhraseExpress for one. Seems I have no other choice.
QuoteThere are also many other ways to open files in external applications from IMatch: Opening Files in Other Applications
Yes, but some just would not take more one file at a go ...
Anyway, thanks again for your wonderful responsiveness, best support on the web!
   Regards  Emil

Mario

Does Drag & Drop into Windows Explorer work? If that is true, the culprit is the other application.
Running IMatch under the Admin account uses a different user profile, different registry settings and makes your system more vulnerable.

Note that drag & drop usually does not work between software running under an Admin account and software running under a normal user account. Maybe this gives you something to work with.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook