Beginner's question about locations

Started by birdbrain, May 16, 2021, 03:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdbrain

How can I simply say "this photo was taken in location X"?  If I go to the metadata for a photo and choose Location > Location, I would think a list of locations I have created would appear there, but that is not the case.

FYI, the photos are scanned and therefore have no GPS data.  I have created a metadata template that will set the location and GPS data and also place the location in the keywords. But I would have to change the location in the template each time. (see attached)

Just starting to use IMatch, so apologies for a dumb question but I could not find the answer (so far) in help, community, etc.

Thank you!

Mario

There are several ways to apply an existing location to one or more selected files.

One is via a Metadata Template, which can either assign a fixed location or assign the best matching location based on the GPS coordinates in the image.
Such a template can automatically be run during when IMatch adds new files to your database (See: Indexing);

The typical and quickest way to add locations to your files is via the Map Panel.

Press <L> when the Map panel is active (click into it) or use the "Go to Location" command from the toolbar.
Click on the location name in the list.
Now, right-click the location to open the context menu and then select "Apply location coordinates to all selected files. See Applying a Location

You can also just use the Find functions in the Map panel to find the place of your files, left-click to place the target marker and then assign these coordinates to all selected files (you then don't need to create any locations at all). If you enable Reverse Geocoding in IMatch, IMatch automatically fills in location data, keywords etc.

Locations are usually only used for setting up reoccurring places to quickly navigate to in the Map Panel, or fixed locations you want to automatically assign to incoming files (via the Indexing options, see above) based on the GPS coordinates.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

I am a relative newcomer as well.   Mario's suggestions are always good and helpful.

If you want more info, I will be happy to write up some more details.   (I need to pay forward some of the help I've gotten on this forum  :) )

Good luck.

birdbrain

@Mario: Thank you for the detailed tips.

@PandDLong: I will try it from here and will take you up on your offer if I get stuck.

Thanks to both of you!

Joe

birdbrain

I am creating locations and testing how to apply the location info to selected photos. "Testing" means trying both the metadata template and the map panel to see which will work best for me

But I am running into the issue of keywords from the location info being added to the photo keywords. I found this in help, meaning clearly this is the way it is intended:

Keywords   Here you can enter keywords you want to assign to files to which you apply this location (manually or
    via a metadata template). Separate multiple keywords with a semicolon. The keywords are added to existing keywords
    (duplicates are avoided).
    https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#geo_locations.htm

If I want to correct my location keywords, is there a way to remove the wrong ones from photos?  This is mostly an issue while I am in the process of establishing my location taxonomy, trying the features of the tool, etc. As one gets "smarter", there is a need to go back an re-do the "setup" of locations.

birdbrain

Please disregard.

I can see how "Edit keywords" cover this (and more).