Working on thumbnails while new files are added is impossible (constant repaint)

Started by ubacher, October 20, 2013, 01:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

When I am working in Files&Media and have a thumbnail selected and an image is added to this folder
by some other process then the display is redrawn with the top "page" showing.

This makes it impossible to work. But how can we get around this?
Would it be possible to inhibit redrawing the thumbnails when one is selected? But when would the redrawing take place then?

Doing the redraw only if the added image needs to appear on the current screen (and leave the selected thumbnail in its position)
would be difficult I assume.

Mario

When IMatch is adding/updating files in the folder you are currently viewing, some minor restrictions and inconveniences are inevitable.

Adding a file to a folder causes a lot of things, e.g.

What to display in the file window
Sort order of displayed elements,
Grouping of elements
Categories, Colors, Collections and more, when file relations are active
Metadata displayed in the thumbnails

IMatch, when ingesting files, sends out tons of notifications on the internal "bus", and all open windows and panels need to react on these notifications in order to update properly and to avoid displaying outdated, irrelevant or wrong data.

There is no easy way around and, and not updating the file window is no solution because this could cause follow-up errors when you click on a file or trigger commands. The best is to just wait for a short while in this case.

The alternative would be (and I'm thinking about this, at least as an option) to block the entire IMatch UI with a wait dialog while files are ingested (like IMatch 3 did).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook