Problem finding metadata in AVI files

Started by Ted, October 20, 2013, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Mario,

Something is not right, and maybe it's me, but I'm having a real problem trying to access the metadata in all my AVI/THM files.  The attached AVI/THM files [because of size I uploaded them to my server (for a few days) at http://tevern.us/iMatch/Desktop.zip] were created with a Canon PowerShot S1 IS on June 9, 2011 at 180659.  I have other photos from my Nikon D300 around that time confirming what is in the video.  I've also included the XMP file.

These files were renamed by IM3 in the last couple of days using smart rename and "{Image.EXIF.Date and time Original}-{Image.EXIF.can Image Number}", showing that the datetime and Canon Image number is present. I have also used another program called ExifToolGUI that shows the datetime and Image Number are present also.  I have found the datetime in IM5 only once and in a variable called {File.MD.RIFF::Hdrl\IDIT\DateTimeOriginal\0}.  I have not been able to find the Image number at all.  I was under the impression that your metadata browser showed all metadata, but ExifToolGUI seems to show more than I find in IM5, but then perhaps I'm looking in the right place.

PLEASE take a look at the attached files and tell me if the information (Creation DateTime and Image Number) is available and what it's called.  Your suggestion previously ({File.MD.Composite\FileNumber\FileNumber\0}) did not provide any output, although it is interesting that ExifToolGUI does display the Image Number in a field called FileNumber.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

Ted

Mario,
Please pardon me if I'm going too far afield here, but I've done some research on metadata, specifically what information ExifTool knows about the file referenced in my previous message.  When I pointed it (ExifTool) at only the AVI file with the command 'exiftool -a -s -G1 filename.AVI' I get a list of metadata that approximates what IM5 lists in the browser panel.  But when I point it at all three (AVI,THM,XMP) extensions, I get much much more information -- including the FileNumber which I've been looking for in the THM file.  It make sense because I think that Canon writes most of the metadata in the THM file.

IM5 seems to treat the AVI/THM pair much different than say NEF/JPG as the THM file is hidden by default, but it contains most of the metadata.  NEF/JPG are both visible and both contain approximately equal metadata.

So, I hope this will now be considered a bug and you will address the problem.  Otherwise there will be much metadata not available for use with the AVI files.

Attached is a small file which is output from ExifTool showing the metadata from all three extensions.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----
Ted

Mario

IMatch shows metadata per file. So if you select the AVI, IMatch will display the metadata contained in the AVI file. IMatch does not attempt to "mix" metadata from other files (in this case a possibly available THM file). This is not part of the design. THM files are a thing of the past. For historical reasons, IMatch treats THM files special when there is a corresponding CRW file (also a Canon speciality). But not for such a common video format as AVI, which is utilized by so many vendors.

Metadata for AVI files can be comfortably stored in XMP files, which also makes it "standard" and easy to handle in all kinds of apps. If you use a camera or workflow which puts metadata for video files in AVI format in a JPEG file with the THM extension in the same folder, you may want to look into a solution which uses ExifTool to extract the data from the THM and puts it into a XMP file.

I could of course rework the metadata processing in IMatch 5 to look fior metadata in THM files when reading/writing AVI files. Or maybe other "special" file formats for which Canon, or another vendor, invents similar schemes. But for now, keeping things simple and making things reliable, fast and solid is much higher on my priority list.

If you want such a special THM/AVI treatment for metadata processing in IMatch, please add a feature request so I can look into this for a future release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

Quote from: Mario on October 21, 2013, 07:53:03 AM
If you want such a special THM/AVI treatment for metadata processing in IMatch, please add a feature request so I can look into this for a future release.
Thank you for your response.  I wasn't wanting any "special" treatment, but I also wasn't expecting a downgrade in functionality in IM5.  I am just surprised at the approach: 

• Intentionally not reading the THM file, which contains most of the metadata information
  • Then, make the THM Buddy of the AVI file, so that it can not be renamed without breaking/changing the relationship
No, I will not add a feature request so you can look into it for a future release.  I'm pretty sure I know what your decision will be.
-----
Ted

Mario

To include THM files in your database, go to Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2: Canon CRW and set the option "Don't index THM files" to No.
IMatch then includes THM files like any other file in the database.

If you want to keep the AVI and THM together during rename, delete, copy etc. create a buddy file relation which links AVI files to THM files.

QuoteNo, I will not add a feature request so you can look into it for a future release.  I'm pretty sure I know what your decision will be.
Your choice. But I would not attempt to estimate my decisions, you might be wrong.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

Quote from: Mario on October 21, 2013, 03:51:50 PM
To include THM files in your database, go to Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2: Canon CRW and set the option "Don't index THM files" to No.
IMatch then includes THM files like any other file in the database.

If you want to keep the AVI and THM together during rename, delete, copy etc. create a buddy file relation which links AVI files to THM files.

Yes, I had that working in about 5 minutes after I made my previous post.  I had done enough research yesterday to figure that out.

I understand your desire to not support obsolete equipment and standards, but some of us have images created with them and don't want to throw them away.  Those images or movies can never be recreated.  Fortunately your program was flexible enough for me to make it work for my needs.  It only took me several days to figure out how, but I've learned along the way.

Now on to other things.

Thanks.
-----
Ted