Rates & labels in Media and Folders Window

Started by Stefanjan, June 25, 2021, 01:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

If I change the rating or label in the media & folders window, the thumbnail is not reflecting the change until I switch to another folder and back again.

Have I got a setting wrong somewhere or is this normal?

sinus

I do not know, but this works here, I have just tried.

Because I have a lot of pics, it took 2 or 3 seconds, but it works fine.

And  depending where I am and (maybe) what work does IMatch in the background, sometimes this changing of a label or rating is done  almost immediately.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

We need more details about your setup, if other features like filters, the search bar are active etc.
How many files. Which View?
How do you change the rating? Mouse? Keyboard? Rating Bar? Metadata Panel?
Every detail can matter.
The log file from the IMatch session where the problem was encountered (see log file),
Even better, switch IMatch to debug logging via Help menu > Support and repeat the steps.
ZIP the logfile and attach to your reply.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: sinus on June 25, 2021, 02:59:50 PM

This should always bee instantaneous, unless you have tens of thousands of files in the file window or IMatch is super-busy updating categories, variables or collections in the background, causing a small delay.
Just made a test with an 850,000 files database, and in a folder with 2,000 files it takes less than 1s between I press the key <3> and the rating 3 is applied. The duration is interestingly the same whether or not I have 1 or 300 files selected. Probably an internal de-bounce that waits for 0.5 seconds.

Under which conditions does this take 3 seconds on your system? Is your PC a slower notebook or a workstation PC?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on June 25, 2021, 03:10:47 PM
We need more details about your setup, if other features like filters, the search bar are active etc.
8 files selected
Change rating using Key press 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5
debug log attached
It takes considerably longer than 3 seconds on my system.  I changed the rating, left it for a few minutes and it still hadn't changed. To change it I have to switch folders and back again.
This is on a Windows 10 desktop PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight- Core Processor 3.20 GHz
32 GB Ram
GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti graphics card

Stefanjan

screenshot of imatch setup

Mario

IMatch reports 15 milliseconds to set the rating.
But you have a filter active! Does this also happen if you disable the filter?

Ps: Press <F5> to reload the file window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 25, 2021, 03:14:23 PM
Quote from: sinus on June 25, 2021, 02:59:50 PM

This should always bee instantaneous, unless you have tens of thousands of files in the file window or IMatch is super-busy updating categories, variables or collections in the background, causing a small delay.
Just made a test with an 850,000 files database, and in a folder with 2,000 files it takes less than 1s between I press the key <3> and the rating 3 is applied. The duration is interestingly the same whether or not I have 1 or 300 files selected. Probably an internal de-bounce that waits for 0.5 seconds.

Under which conditions does this take 3 seconds on your system? Is your PC a slower notebook or a workstation PC?

Hm, it is simply my main-computer, not very slow.
But I have spottet sometimes, that IMatch is very slow, I do not really know, why and it is of course also not always.
And because it  is not that bad for me, I have not yet looked deeper in this.
And that is also, why I have thought in the last month, to split my DB into 2 or 3.
But this has time, I guess, maybe end of this year ...

I made this "test" with no custom filewindow and send you the log.
But it is not meant, that you should look into this, really not.

I do such operations with changing such stuff like stars, labels and so on mostly in a result window and there it is usually very quickly.

OK, I send the log, just if is any help for you, as I said, you must not really look into this.
  :)

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteBut I have spottet sometimes, that IMatch is very slow, I do not really know, why and it is of course also not always.

In that case, use Help menu > Copy Logfile to make a snap shot. Maybe I can see something.
I test IMatch with a maxed out 850,000 files database to ensure performance keeps up well even with corporate-grade collection sizes. And 850,000 files is a lot of images to manage.

The log file contains two notices about sub-standard performance - both related to recalculating collections (rating and label).
IMatch seems to need 20 seconds (!) to update a collection. Which is slow. But IMatch does that usually in the background, unless the collection is needed (e.g. rating or label) for the user interface.
The first slow collection is Rating: 2 and the second slow collection is Label: "NICHT verwendet"

When you set a rating or label, all rating/label collections are invalidated, because the file may have had no rating/label before or a different rating/label.
And after re-evaluating the collections, IMatch must store the result in the database.

Your database has 300,000 files and about 3500 categories. Large but not that large.
To calculate collections, IMatch performs database operations which determine how many files have a specific rating or label. For 300,000 files and 6 ratings (0-5) and I don't know how many labels you use.

The problem seems to be that it takes very long to store the results in the database.
This can either indicate that IMatch is very busy doing other things in the database, thus delayed the collection store operation.
Or that the database is not performing too well. But I see no other performance warnings, so the database seems to run smoothly in general.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Thanks Mario, yes I had a filter "Hide rejected files" enabled in two places:

In the filter panel and also the Rating, label & collections panel.

With Auto checked.

Unchecking one panel seems to have solved the problem and rating and labels work immediately.

However I am also confused because with auto checked, the filter panel enabled and hide rejected files checked, when I go through and cull, the auto filter seems to have no effect. the rejected files (using the delete key or x key) are marked for rejection but are still visible in the thumbnail view. They don't disappear till I click apply the filter. Shouldn't auto make them disappear when I press delete?

Mario

This is related to a bug we've discussed the other day here in the community and which has been resolved for IMatch 2021. And another related bug also fixed. All only for active filters.
Under some conditions a filter was not re-applied when ratings / labels are changed. IMatch displays a message in this case, asking you to manually re-apply the filter. This message can be dismissed with "Don't show again" - which many users do and then forget about it.

I have changed the implementation to always re-apply the filter. I assume most modern PCs are fast enough to not delay the user's workflow when he changes rating/label while also filtering for rating/label.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Thanks Mario,

Having rejected files become hidden is quite important to my culling workflow. Good that this will be fixed in imatch 2021.

I have 10 days remaining on my trial. Is imatch 2021 likely to be released before my trial ends?

Regards
Stefan

Mario

Quote from: Stefanjan on June 25, 2021, 11:37:00 PM
I have 10 days remaining on my trial. Is imatch 2021 likely to be released before my trial ends?
No.

Just remember to click on the Apply button in the Filter Panel when you change rating/label and you filter for rating/label.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Hi Mario, I imagine this will be fixed within the next 6 months and I assume your upgrade policy still applies
"Customers who have purchased the product within six (6) months before the release date of a paid upgrade are automatically eligible for a free upgrade."
So as I'm finding imatch otherwise such an outstanding application, I will be hitting the "buy iMatch now" button at the end of my trial in 9 days.

Mario

My fair update and upgrade policy is unchanged for over 10 years.

If you enjoy IMatch, purchase a license. All software has bugs, and this small glitch will not be the only bug in IMatch, now or in the future.
The release notes for IMatch 2021 have almost 100 items, and many of these are bug fixes for smaller or larger bugs. Upgrading to two newer versions of 3rd party tools used in IMatch fixed over 20 open bugs, for example.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator